Sr. Software Development Manager - AWS Elastic Block Store (EBS)
- Boston, MA
Amazon Web Services is looking for both Leaders and Developers (including Test Automation) to help us define and build the future of computing. The AWS Elastic Block Store (EBS) service delivers high performance virtualized storage "in the cloud" for EC2. Durable storage is a key building block for any application and as a member of the EBS team you'll work alongside outstanding engineers and leaders to develop and operate one of the largest storage services in the world.
Be a part of the team that owns the core parts of the EBS storage technologies that durably persist all the data written to EBS volumes. We're looking for a Sr. Software Development Manager to lead teams of innovative engineers that own the performance, availability, scalability, and durability of EBS volumes. This is an opportunity to use advanced thread synchronization and CPU management techniques, work at lower layers of the networking stack, and take advantage of disk drive performance characteristics to engineer services that push the latest generation of hardware to its limits. Additionally, EBS is a massive-scale distributed system and so this position has the opportunity to work in two exciting areas of development.
Our team works together to provide work/life balance for all team members. We recognize that the circumstances of our team members vary, and we balance work across the team so that we're all able to maintain high standards on behalf of our customers, while at the same time allowing for rich and happy personal lives.
As a Software Development Manager, you are responsible for helping your team bridge the gap between customers and technology to quickly design and deliver scalable and maintainable systems. You will also be responsible for the team's product definition, technical architecture, driving iterative development, code review, and operations. Along with this, you'll have the opportunity interact with customers to ensure their needs are met; clear, professional communication with developer customers is an important part of the job.
Upon joining EBS, every employee is paired with a peer buddy who will help you to quickly come up to speed in understanding the technology we're building, the tools we use and the business problems we're trying to solve. We hire exceptional people and we recognize the importance of coaching others. We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, and job level. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. On our internal "Broadcast" video streaming website, you'll find countless presentations by some of the brightest minds in computing discussing solutions to many of the exciting problems we're solving in AWS today with new live-streaming videos added every week.
We have a diverse team and drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. Our team is intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Our team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network (BEN), Amazon Women in Engineering (AWE) and Glamazon (our LGBTQ+ community).
• Experience leading highly-skilled software engineering teams with experience in managing large-scale customer-facing software systems
• Experience developing and executing a software roadmap
• 7+ years of experience managing people and/or technical programs, including a minimum of 2+ years of experience in managing multiple software development managers and teams
• 5+ years of professional experience in software development/engineering
• Computer Science fundamentals in problem solving, data structure, data structures and complexity analysis • Demonstrated leadership ability as either a lead software developer, software development manager or program manager
• Strong Customer Focus
• Experience taking a lead role in architecting, designing, and building complex software systems
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience driving complex, cross-organizational projects
• Experience creating and driving a bold vision
• Experience with real-time or near-real-time, high throughput & low latency systems
• Understanding of networking protocols
• Experience recruiting, hiring, and managing a high performing team
• Experience in strategic decision making
Back to top