Sr. Software Development Manager
Passionate about building, owning and operating massively scalable systems? Experienced in building and leading teams of highly competent software engineers ranging from new graduates to seasoned managers and architects? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, here is an opportunity tailored for you.
Who are we?
It's no secret that Amazon relies on its technology to deliver millions of packages every day to its customers – on time, with low cost. We, the Transportation Technology division, build the complex software solutions that work across our vendors, warehouses and carriers to optimize both time & cost of getting the packages delivered. Our services already handle thousands of requests per second, make business decisions impacting billions of dollars a year, integrate with a network of small and large carriers worldwide, manage business rules for millions of unique products, and improve ordering and delivery experience for millions of online shoppers. That said, this remains a fast growing business and our technical journey has only started. With rapid expansion into new geographies, innovations in supply chain, unique delivery models for products ranging from Fresh groceries to big-screen TV's, increasingly complex transportation network, and growing number of shipments worldwide, we see a brand new opportunity to fundamentally change the way people get the stuff they need, and make a big impact by cutting billions of dollars of transportation costs from the ecosystem. Our mission is to build the most efficient and optimal transportation system on the planet, using our engineering muscle as our biggest advantage. We aim to leverage cutting edge technologies in big data, machine learning, and optimization techniques, and operate high volume, low latency, and high availability services. Oh, and we will need great leaders too (this is where you come in … read on)
What will you do?
As part of the leadership team, you will work on developing the systems and strategies used by Amazon worldwide and will regularly interact with executive leadership. You will work with the business teams world-wide to define organization roadmaps, drive execution of technology projects, drive operational excellence initiatives and manage technology operations. As a manager of managers, you'll need to build, manage, and mentor multiple engineering teams towards achieving a focused mission. You'll work in a high volume environment and will be required to lead not only at the strategic level, but also tactically day-to-day by diving deeply into business and technical domains. As a multi-discipline leader, the buck will stop with you. You'll be required to not just lead the engineering (dev & test) functions but also lead the product/program management aspects as the complete owner of the product.
To accomplish this, you will be expected to have an established background in building highly scalable systems and system design, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about building good software as well as making that software achieve its operational goals. Experience with building and operating web-based applications and/or web services-based applications, especially at massive scale, will be very applicable and helpful. Prior experience in leading multiple disciplines (dev/test/pm) will be a big plus as well.
Come and see for yourself why we are one of the most admired company in the US, rated #1 in Innovation and # 1 in Customer Service, and be part of our tradition of working hard, having fun and making history!
- 10+ years of experience building and managing development teams, including software development managers, software engineers, electrical engineers, and firmware engineers that design and deliver large distributed systems
- 5+ years of experience building consumer facing products, particularly stand alone hardware devices
- 5+ years of experience managing and effectively operating a complex system that is highly reliable and scalable
- 5+ years of experience in object-oriented design, and agile development methodologies
- 4+ years of experience as a manager of managers while leading multiple engineering teams
- 4+ years of experience of managing products, budgets and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
- Experience in developing long-term strategies and influencing leadership decisions
- Exceptional and effective verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Exceptional project management skills
- Bachelors or higher degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 15+ years of experience in building distributed systems
- Experience in leading multi-discipline (dev/test/pm) organizations
- Masters degree in Computer Science or Engineering
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top