Sr. Software Development Manager
- Vancouver, Canada
Amazon's transportation operations rely on thousands of truck drivers daily to bring inventory into its fulfillment centers and get millions of packages out to customers. Amazon's demand for transportation grows every year, especially during critical peaks like Prime Day and holidays. To overcome this challenge, we are building a suite of innovative products both to enable faster growth but also to tap into new sources of transportation supply. This is a ground-floor opportunity to become the technical leader for solving large-scale problem through innovative technology. Your focus will be customer facing applications, scheduling and planning systems, and managing transportation demand.
The Amazon Middle Mile Product and Tech team is looking for a technically-skilled Sr Software Development Manager to join our team. In this role you will build and lead a team of talented engineers. You will be responsible for scoping and delivering large projects end to end. Responsibilities include collection of business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing technical specifications, driving project schedules from design to release, and managing the production launch. You will lead and coordinate design/implementation efforts across multiple teams to develop optimal solutions. As a Sr Software Development Manager at Amazon you'll be a technical leader. You'll help establish technical standards and drive Amazon's overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You'll work on Amazon's hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. Your expertise is deep and broad; you're hands on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs.
You will drive projects end-to-end, collaborate on product definition with business teams, architect and implement the technical solution, and measure its success. You will work with and influence senior management across the company and play a key role in ensuring Amazon continues to reinvent itself. You will be working with a talented team of technical professionals to build highly scalable customer-facing systems. You will advocate for the customer and ensure we are building the best possible experience on their behalf. If you are a hands-on technical leader, have big ideas, and the hunger to make things happen broadly, we should talk.
More broadly, you'll be expected to:
• Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions.
• Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
• Possess expert knowledge in performance, scalability, system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• Leverage knowledge of internal and industry prior art in design decisions.
• Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
• Serve as a technical lead on cross-functional projects and software development teams.
• Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members
• Assist in the continual hiring and development of technical talent, including other Amazon Principal Engineers.
• Exert technical influence over multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
• 12+ years professional experience in software development, including hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
• 10+ years experience in managing multiple software development managers and software engineering teams
• 5+ years experience in a seniour technical leadership role
• 5+ years experience in at least one of the following technical areas: cross-platform mobile applications, machine learning, or large scale systems engineering.
• Experience managing complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
• Experience leading software development life cycle process and best practices
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
• Experience with service oriented architectures, web services, and web applications/services development
• Experience with vehicle routing
The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader, builder and operator. You should have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or IT projects and initiatives. You will need to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. While constantly striving for simplicity, you must demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top