Sr. Software Development Manager
- Cape Town, South Africa
Amazon's eCommerce Foundation (eCF) organization provides the core technologies that drive and power the Amazon website and the consumer experience. Millions of customer page views and orders per day are enabled by the systems eCF builds from the ground up.
Business Data Technologies (BDT) and Cradle, within eCF, enables business analytics and insights, providing data and data curation capabilities to thousands of internal and external customers worldwide. We are developing innovative products including the next-generation of data catalog, data discovery engine, data transformation services, and more with state-of-the-art user experience. Join us in pioneering the future of big data processing and analytics solutions for one of largest and most complex data lakes.
The ideal candidate is both a visionary and polished business and engineering leader with extensive experience in developing distributed systems, strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will lead other leaders to set and execute on the vision. You also have a proven track record hiring and developing engineers, helping them meet and exceed their career goals. We seek an individual who is motivated by a fast-paced and highly entrepreneurial environment.
• BS degree or higher in CS with a minimum of 10 years of relevant software engineering and system design experience.
• Proven experience with full development life cycle for large-scale software products including extensive experience with service-oriented architectures, design patterns and web services.
• Deep hands-on technical expertise in at least one major technical area: large scale systems engineering, building complex distributed systems, and real time machine learning applications.
• Experience managing complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
• Experience playing a visionary leadership role within a large organization
• 10+ years leading software development teams
• 5+ years hands on engineering experience
• Advanced Degree (MS/PhD) preferred . Demonstrated ability to design, build, and deliver complex, successful services and/or customer experiences efficiently
• Proven team leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to get things done.
• Ability to clearly communicate high level strategy and technical details effectively across disciplines, locations, and organizations, including to senior leadership.
• Strong technical foundation with demonstrated willingness and capability to learn new technologies quickly.
• Burning desire to build great experiences for our customers.
• Familiarity with cloud computing.
• Expertise building scalable, available, and low-latency systems
• Expertise with machine learning and feedback loops
• Experience using functional programming languages
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Back to top