Buckeye is a program to enable us to leverage new AWS regions and improve the efficiency and scale of our business, improve customer latency through local affinity to compute resources, and reduce blast radius in case of region failures. The Buckeye end-state architecture enables individual services to break region coupling with their interdependencies while retaining the ability to keep critical business functions within a region.
The Buckeye team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, inventive Software Development Engineer to refine and deliver our grand vision, design and implement technical solutions for regional placement automation, cross-region libraries, and tooling useful for teams across Amazon. The candidate should thrive in a fast-paced environment, understands service-oriented architecture, and will help us help the business innovate quickly at scale.
Successful candidates will have a proven track record of developing highly distributed systems using Agile and incremental delivery methods. You must enjoy working on complex software systems in a customer-centric environment and be passionate not only about building good software but also ensuring that same software achieve its goals in operational reality.
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
• 7+ years of professional experience with Bachelor's degree or 5+ years of professional experience with Master's degree
• Proficiency in C++ or Java development
• Proficiency in data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Development experience in a Unix/Linux environment
• Understanding of networking protocols, REST architecture, data sharding, online transaction processing designs
• Experience with publish/subscribe or other event messaging technologies, client/server development
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Be able to work independently and collaboratively with customers and cross-functional software development teams