Come change the way the world sees the Cloud!
The AWS Fleet Telemetry Team, is part of AWS Engineering that designs the innovative compute and storage platforms that enable infrastructure as a service (Iaas) offerings.
Our systems run 24/7 environments, and serve more than a million customers each day who demand performance, even when the toughest compute workloads are considered. The health of our infrastructure is our top priority. We're looking for technology leaders that can help us build these systems, solve really tough operational problems and suggest new, innovative, ways to keep AWS hardware in tip-top shape.
As a Software Development Engineer you will create, deploy and maintain autonomous monitoring agents and micro-services at scale. You will create software that autonomously mines big data, extracts trends from disparate data sources, identifies unhealthy hosts before they impact compute or storage capacity, issues health diagnoses, and autonomously remediate the identified problems.
Good health begins from the day our products are born. You will also be responsible for leading your team to design and develop software that ensures every server in the AWS fleet is built, configured and performing according to its design specification from the time it is placed into service until the time it is retired.
Our software must be unobtrusive, efficient, and scalable. You will utilize dependable, easy-to-use and most performant BigData platforms to innovate and develop your hardware immune system. You will work on innovative technologies. You will build software capabilities and features from the ground up, while using wide range of programming languages, systems, tools and technologies etc.
Additional responsibilities will include all aspects of software lifecycle (e.g design, development, testing and deployment/operation). You will always be encouraged to explore your own ideas, experiment and get the opportunity to delight Amazon customers with your direct contribution.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. Most days, our teams are co-located in the Bay Area office locations (SJC3), but we're also flexible when people occasionally need to work from home. Some teams meet 2 times per week in the office and others generally keep core in-office hours from 10am to 4pm. About half of the Software Development Engineers come in earlier and the other half of us stay later. Due to the evolving COVID-19 environment, United States based Amazon corporate employees have the option to work from home through June 30th, 2021. Until our organization safely returns to the office (this date will be determined and communicated by your manager).
The positions involve some on-call responsibilities, typically each team follows a standard process to limit the on-call requirement to a minimal. One average some of the teams follow one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our teams are dedicated to supporting new team members. Our teams have a broad mix of experience levels and Amazon tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior and principle engineers truly enjoy mentoring more junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We try to assign projects and tasks based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive Team Culture
Our teams are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes we do get to build a really cool service, but we also think a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day. We're looking for new teammates who are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers; engineers who will help us amplify the positive and inclusive team culture we've been building.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• 4+ years of software architecture and development experience
• Experience in, at least, one programming language such as Java, Python
• 4 + years experience with Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Experience with AWS Services and or products
• Basic understanding of standard internet protocols or understanding of how commodity servers, operating systems and networks function, perform and scale
• Verbal and written communication skills with ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions to internal and external customers
• Experience with ambiguous/undefined problems; with an ability to think abstractly
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating written and verbal with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Experience with taking a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering operation excellence
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/