In this role, you will build a new AWS service that is going to be trend setting in the database & AI field. This is an area that requires solving the hardest engineering challenges to enable AI powered solutions for solving some of the classical database usecase for our customers. As a tier zero Amazon service our solutions have to be scalable, efficient, and extremely fault tolerant. Experience with machine learning systems is preferred, but not required.
You will deliver some of our most strategic technical projects, deliver large scalable systems, design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed database technology and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business and competitive position. In addition to delivering critical software, you will draw from a deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers and provide leadership on complex technical issues.
This position within the AWS Databases & AI team presents a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise, desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or relevant work experience
• 7+ years' professional software development experience
• 5+ years' experience developing applications for web services or applications
• Strong computer science fundamentals in design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Solid system design and architecture experience.
• Ability to lead and focus a team of experienced engineers, leading them to a common technical goal.
• Ability to resolve conflicts and technical disagreements while leading the team to the optimal solution
• Passion for building new products in a fast paced, team-oriented environment.
• Solid coding practices including good design documentation, unit testing, peer code reviews, and a preference for agile methods
• Sharp analytical abilities, proven design skills, excellent communication skills
• Experience using Amazon Web Services desirable
• Passion for building a rich and innovative user experience
• Demonstrable track record as an owner: someone who can take a concept and make it real.
• A thirst for knowledge and continuous improvement.