Sr. Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
The AWS Capacity Forecasting and Planning team is responsible for growing the world's largest Cloud. We forecast customer demand, build inventory replenishment system, and drive utilization improvement for all AWS services.
What we own:
• Building a world-class forecasting platform that scales to handling billions of time series data in real time.
• Expanding inventory replenishment models and systems for each AWS service in the fast-growing AWS product portfolio.
• Finding out the optimal tradeoff between AWS service availability and fleet utilization.
• Driving fleet utilization improvement where each 1% means millions of additional free cash flow.
• Automating tactical and strategic capacity planning tools to optimize for service availability and infrastructure cost.
What you will learn:
• Inventory management and supply chain management for the Cloud.
• Resource management and admission control for the Cloud.
• The internals of all AWS services.
• How to build large scale distributed systems for both internal and external AWS customers.
• Functional Programming.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Forecasting, Statistics, Machine Learning, Optimization, Inventory Management, Supply Chain Management, FinTech, AWS, Cloud, Cloud Computing, EC2, S3, EBS, DynamoDB, CloudFront, Java, C++, object oriented, Java, Scala, distributed systems, high availability, scalability, concurrent
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field and at least 7 years work experience
• Experience implementing algorithms, tailored to particular business needs and tested on large data sets
• Proven understanding of scalable computing systems, software architecture, data structures and algorithms
• Proficient in network, distributed, asynchronous and concurrent programming
• Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Master's degree or relevant work experience.
• Strong demonstrated skills implementing and deploying large scale applications and tools.
• Strong skills and experience with programming, design, architecture with familiarity/experience with AWS.
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top