Sr. Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness."
-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Amazon Care is a passionate team working to build a best-in-class healthcare product designed to make high-quality healthcare easy to access as an employee benefit for Amazon employees in the Seattle area.
As a Sr. Software Development Engineer, you will be leading a unique and gifted team developing exciting products and collaborating with cross-functional teams.
In this position, we are looking for a senior engineer with deep service orientated expertise and experience with a variety of technologies. We are looking for someone who understands developing innovative services in the cloud, leveraging the best technologies AWS has to offer, and can build software at scale. We need someone who is motivated to tackle ambiguous situations with technologies to rapidly produce prototypes. You will outline paths from prototype to product. You will need to contribute to the professional development of colleagues through mentoring, improving their technical knowledge and the engineering practices on your team. You have an eye towards quality, and insist on the highest standards.
• Be heavily involved with design and product teams to understand needs, propose features, create early prototypes and transform them into exciting experiences.
• Interface effectively with Sr. SDEs from other teams in Amazon Care and across Amazon in order to proactively identify blind spots and effectively think big about engineering solutions.
• Design new, scalable, secure, and reliable features that drive real-time videoconferencing features.
• Collect and analyze video, audio, networking, and device metrics to provide insight and drive a roadmap focused on improving the quality of real-time videoconferencing features.
• Know how to integrate data from a large number of services.
• Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
• Deep-dive into client or server systems to optimize for performance, maintainability, scalability, extensibility as needed.
• Propose innovative tools, frameworks, automations and processes that are used by the entire services team for development.
• Mentor team members to promote engineering excellence
Inclusive Team Culture:
Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
• Experience with realtime audio and video technologies
• Experience with ElasticSearch and Kibana
• Experience with WebRTC and related technologies
• Experience with Audio and Video codec function and analysis
• A passion for quality and insisting on high standards
• 5+ years experience building production software systems
• 5+ years of object-oriented programming experience
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability
• Understanding of software design principles and computer science fundamental
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
• Experience architecting complex, scalable, cloud-based systems
• Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs at scale
• Passion for hosted large data, highly scalable services. We would love to hear about solutions and systems you've developed.
• Development experience defining, developing and maintaining web service API's
• Passion for cutting edge technologies, drive, and ability to quickly learn new concepts
• Prior experience working for a consumer Internet company
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top