Sr. Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Do you want to design, build and operate services that are used used by millions of customers every day? Are you passionate about architecting highly available and large-scale services?
If the answer is yes, then the Elastic Load Balancing (ELB) team wants to talk to you. ELB is a disruptive new service that offers customers incredibly scalable and robust load balancing technology.
Why you should join the Amazon ELB team?
• We are building and launching new services and features on a regular basis. Application load balancer(ALB), Network load balancer(NLB) and Privatelink are a few examples.
• We ship software frequently, get fast feedback from real customers around the globe, and see the results of our work come to fruition. The Amazon ELB service is deployed globally to 20 regions today and is growing at an extremely rapid rate.
• There are real-world problems to solve that you won't find ready-made answers for. For example, how do you ensure customers can scale their application quickly to handle traffic spikes and then back down in a matter of minutes? How do you design a load balancing solution that allows customers to quickly and easily achieve the highest levels of fault tolerance using Amazon EC2?
• We are now designing and building the next generation of ELB services capable of handling terabytes of data per day and growing from there. This is a unique opportunity to help build large-scale systems from the ground up.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
If this sounds great and you are up to the challenge, we'd love to hear from you. Amazon Web Services is changing the world, and this is a great opportunity to be a part of this exciting business.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
For more information, visit the Amazon ELB detail page: http://aws.amazon.com/elasticloadbalancing
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
• 3+ years' experience building scalable, fault tolerant infrastructure software or distributed systems, preferably on a Unix or Linux platform in Java
• 8+ years professional experience in software development
• Experience with architecture and implementation of enterprise web applications
• MS in Computer Science or related field
• Working knowledge of professional software engineering best practices (coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing)
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements and describe software product features and technical designs
• Strong customer focus, ownership, urgency and drive
• Distributed systems, networking design and implementation experience.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well in a team
Back to top