Have you ever wanted to work on state of the art Big Data, Query and Serverless systems that will make a lasting impact on technology?
We are looking for Sr. Software Development Engineers for AWS Athena who have the passion to tackle tough problems by building cutting edge serverless query engine technologies to customers around the world. We are used by one of the biggest names in tech and the business world for their analytics.
Athena is ANSI SQL engine that works with a variety of standard data formats, including CSV, JSON, ORC, Avro, and Parquet. Athena is ideal for quick, ad-hoc querying but it can also handle complex analysis, including large joins, window functions, and arrays and everything traditional DW can do. Athena is highly available and executes queries using compute resources across multiple sites.
Sr. SDEs at Amazon do so much more than just software development. We'll be looking at you to help:
• Decide what features to build
• Drive software engineering best practice.
• Design performant, distributed and scalable systems.
This is a senior engineering role and you'll have the opportunity to shape our product roadmap and business direction and work and consult with principal engineers who are world-class experts in the field.
We are looking for a person who likes to work hard and play hard. We strive to keep our team fast by removing overhead consistencies. We want everyone to feel included and have fun; we even do virtual happy hours during covid-19 isolation.
One of the keys to AWS's success is its top-tier growth culture. You will have the opportunity to work with multiple AWS development leaders who can help you accelerate your career and bring ideas to market. You will be working closely with a talented team of engineers, product managers, and software managers that will push your technical abilities while you bring new innovations to a widely adopted and fast growing product.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• BS, MS in Computer Science, Applied Math or related Engineering fields with 5+ years of relevant work experience.
• Experience with serverless, big data, ETL technologies at scale
• Experience taking projects from scoping requirements through V1 launch and V2 iterations
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with highly distributed systems.
• Proficiency with open source technologies such as Presto, Hive, Apache Spark, or Apache Impala.
• Experience in production-scale software development
• Familiarity with JDBC/ODBC, SQL query processing, and distributed query engines
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us