Would you like to drive the architecture of some of the largest telemetry and control systems on the planet?
AWS Hardware Control Services provide the underlying server management infrastructure used by every server in Amazon, from EC2 to S3 to DynamoDB and beyond. Consequently, we own some of the most sophisticated software anywhere, including firmware and back-end service infrastructure. Optimizing the dynamics of ever-changing environmental conditions, monitored with millions upon millions of sensors, is a massive challenge, and we love it!
We are looking for a customer-obsessed, data driven, senior technical leader to take our services to the next level of scale, availability, and performance. Is that you? How can you tell? You find problems in real-time data streaming, feedback control systems, and other such topics to be extremely fascinating, maybe even addictive. You love to rove across the stack, from hyper-efficient client-side embedded software to high-scale back-end distributed systems. Your teammates say things like, "Every time we speak, I learn something new that grows me as an engineer." Your passion for engineering best practices is second-to-none. Finally, you hunger to give customers what they want: high quality, high performance, always-on devices and servers.
In this position, you'll have the opportunity to:
• Serve as the technical leader on our most demanding projects, including the launch of new services and features that will be deployed and used at massive scale
• Work with technology leaders to define and drive critical features and architectural advancements into our services
• Interact with customers and other service teams to understand requirements and define solutions
• Guide the monitoring and controls design for Amazon's server hardware
• Positively impact customers through improvements in server availability and performance
• Positively impact the planet through improvements in efficiency of server power usage
• Collaborate with other senior engineers to find simple solutions to brain-contorting problems
• Ensure the quality of architecture of our systems
• Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members
• Provide technical guidance to multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
• Advocate for the customer and ensure we are building the best possible experience
• BA/BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
• 7+ years of experience developing software in at least one of: Python, Ruby, Perl, and/or Java
• Demonstrated expertise in system-level design and with web services and service oriented architectures
• Experience with the Linux operating system and user-level tool
• Excellent programming skills and computer science fundamentals (OO design, data structures & algorithms, problem solving, complexity analysis)
• Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well with peers across multiple disciplines and job duties
• Experience with distributed systems architecture and related technologies
• Solid understanding of software and system security
• Superb troubleshooting and problem analysis skills
• Experience with large scale systems.
• Experience using AWS services
• Experience with on-call operations
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.