Want to make database history? Come and join the Amazon Database services team the creators of DynamoDB, Redshift and Amazon Relational Database (RDS) services. Thousands of customers run managed databases on Amazon's industry leading cloud computing platform. Whether you need a SQL database or NoSQL datastore (DynamoDB, ElastiCache, DocumentDB, Neptune, QLDB) or Managed Blockchain, Amazon DB Services team makes it easier for you to set up, operate, and scale databases in the cloud.
The DB services team is growing rapidly and we are looking for a senior software engineer to drive the developer experience for AWS Glue ElasticViews service. Our customers will interact with us in multiple ways through the console, using our API directly, using our SDKs, and through our command line interfaces. As a leader in this team, you will work on architecting, designing and implementing high performance end-to-end applications and API for this new database service. Our engineers work on all aspects of system development - backend, middle-tier and front-end as well. Most of our applications are built using Java and ReactJS, but we pick right tools and technologies for the right solution and there is freedom to choose a different technology and design scalable and sustainable solutions.
Who you are:
• You are able to operate with limited guidance and take a long-term view of your team's services and how it fits into the broader architecture.
• You enjoy working with other engineers building similar core components to ensure that teams are building towards a broader architecture that supports Amazon scale business needs.
• Highly-motivated and thrive in an environment where problems are open-ended. You are able to unpack and solve ambiguous problems and provide simple and clear technical direction for your team.
• You understand the business impact of your systems and show good judgment when making technical trade-offs between your team's short-term technology or operational needs and long-term business needs.
• You are genuinely excited about technology, have a strong interest in learning and playing with the latest technologies.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
• 8+ years professional software engineering experience
• Excellent Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Strong proficiency in developing objected-oriented software, with deep experience in one or more relevant languages (Java, C, C++, C#, Kotlin)
• Proven track record of delivering high quality software on time
• Strong analytical skills, with excellent problem-solving abilities and ability to deal with ambiguity
• Master's degree in Computer Science
• Experience designing and building highly-scaled distributed systems and web services
• Thorough understanding of distributed systems, concurrency, asynchronous architectures
• Experience working in an agile software development organization
• Experience building with SOA using Java on Linux
• Experience in enterprise software or cloud services
• Experience building highly accessible and usable customer facing web applications.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us