Amazon Web Services is seeking an outstanding Software Development Engineer to join the AWS Data Platform team.
Join a rapidly growing team of software engineers that are building best-in-class tools and large-scale distributed systems to enable big data processing in the cloud. You will wield Java, Ruby, web services, and OOD to develop massively scalable, robust software which thrives in the onslaught of traffic from massive cloud computing services like S3, EC2, EMR, Step Functions, Glue, Lake Formation, etc. The ideal candidate will have a passion for big data, strong experience in distributed systems and web services design, as well as an ability to work on highly available production systems.
Our team tackles some of the hardest scalability, performance, and distributed computing challenges in the world. We process billions of line items via map reduce (EMR), and manage artifacts through the latest in database technologies (DynamoDB and Redshift). We build innovative products for our customers to make use of our managed data infrastructure platform as a service for data exchange, provenance, orchestration, pipelines, storage, cataloguing, access control, etc. Because we sit at the nexus of all AWS services and interact directly with end-customers, we also work closely across all AWS teams to ensure that we offer a great customer experience.
If you are a strong developer with experience and interest in high-volume websites, distributed systems and databases, performance and scalability, we'd like to talk to you.
You should have deep expertise in the design, creation, management, and business use of large datasets, across a variety of data platforms. You should have excellent business and communication skills to be able to work with business owners to understand data requirements. You should be an expert at designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, low cost solutions to flow massive amounts of data from production systems into the data lake. Above all you should be passionate about working with huge data sets and someone who loves to bring datasets together to answer business questions and drive growth.
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc.
We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Clear, professional communication skills able to contribute to team discussions, knowing when to contribute, when to listen, and when to ask questions
• A passion for technology. We are looking for someone who is keen to leverage their existing skills while trying new approaches.
• Experience designing and implementing highly scalable web services
• Experience building and operating mission critical, highly available (24x7) systems
• Experience with Big Data technology like Apache Hadoop, NoSQL, Presto, etc.
• Solid sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
• Showed leadership abilities in an engineering environment in driving operational excellence and best practices.
• Showed ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast-paced environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit