Sr. Software Development Engineer - Amazon Redshift (Query Optimizer)
- Atlanta, GA
Are you eager to help customers crunch through exabytes of data in the cloud to make business critical decisions? Amazon Redshift is the world's most popular fully managed cloud data warehouse service that 10's of thousands of customers use every day. To stay ahead in such a mission critical setting, at Redshift, we must always re-invent ourselves for customers. We are always looking for the best engineers to help shape the future of Redshift.
Our team focuses on Redshift's optimizer, which transforms user queries with both heuristic and cost-based decisions so that they run efficiently and effectively leverage our distributed execution system that harnesses both hardware and software acceleration techniques. You will have the opportunity to deliver impactful changes that range from data driven optimizations to novel algorithms and architectures that benefit our customers seamlessly. For example, have a look at how we built Concurrency Scaling to give customers a way to elastically and automatically add compute resources or how we've added materialized views to speed up queries and more recently, automation for refreshes and query rewrites to leverage materialized views. These techniques and many others show how we build and innovate to give our customers industry leading price-performance for their workloads.
As a Senior Software Development Engineer in Redshift, you will build systems that benefit Redshift clusters across the world. You will take significant ownership on the overall product vision by defining new features and architecture. You will distill complex and ambiguous requirements, converting them into meaningful projects that provide immense customer value. You will own code end-to-end deliverables from design, development, deployment, monitoring, and operations. You will lead engineers on substantial projects and help develop a flourishing team through active mentoring and hiring.
This is a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast-growing business and help shape the technology, product and the business. You will bring deep technical, algorithmic and coding expertise with the ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in the industry leading cloud company to deliver a broad business impact.
The hiring team is willing to consider Redmond, WA and San Diego, CA as another possible work locations.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 3 - 15 years experience writing large scale systems in C/C++
• Strong knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving and complexity analysis
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience
• 7+ years professional experience in software development
• Experience developing complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
• Experiencing mentoring junior software development engineers and driving engineering excellence
• Experience delivering and operating large scale, highly available distributed systems is a plus
• Experience with database systems internals, query optimization, and storage systems
• Experience with large-scale data analytics and data warehousing is a plus
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top