Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live their memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and apps are available on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is also integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Amazon Photos is the latest digital offering to consumers released on the heels of the Amazon Music and Amazon Video offerings. We have ambitious goals to scale growth and adoption of the service around the world and delight our customers with a great product.
What we do
Amazon Photos on Alexa team works on delighting customers with voice driven photos features. We help customers discover and personalize their Alexa devices with their personal photos.
We are looking for a full-stack Software Development Engineer to join our development team to work on voice features for the Alexa devices. This team has unique structure where developers work on Android platform for device features in the frontend and Java based Web Services to handle voice requests in the backend. The team works closely with Amazon Photos Services to store and process photos and external Alexa teams to bring delight to Amazon customers. The team has high visibility and high impact delivering features.
Who you are
• Full-stack Software Development Engineer with experience working on frontend and backend software development
• Customer Obsessed to deliver features and delight customers
• Relentlessly focus on excellence functional, operational and technical
• Define and deliver measurable success
• Lead and Mentor junior engineers
• Be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged
• Work closely with internal and external teams to deliver features
• Architect, design, develop and deploy photos features for current and future Alexa devices
• Contribute best-in-class programming skills to develop highly innovative, consumer-facing Alexa device experience using Android platform
• Work closely with Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) and Natural Language Understanding (NLU) to model voice interactions
• Work on Web Services processing voice data and integrate with other Web Services for feature development
• Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
• Launch new features in the US and International markets working closely with other Alexa teams
• Work with other team members to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology and evaluate technical feasibility
• Improve Operational Excellence including Latency and Scalability
• Work in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
• Help define and implement standards and promote best practices for the Amazon Photos Voice development team
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 5 years of software development experience designing and developing Android and Java applications
• Full stack development experience
• Extensive knowledge of Android development techniques and practices
• Experience developing web services
• Experience leading and mentoring junior engineers
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.