Amazon Photos helps consumers preserve and re-live their memories. The service comes with unlimited photo storage for Prime members and apps are available on iOS, Android, Web, Desktop, Fire Tablet & Fire TV. The service is also integrated into Alexa devices such as Echo Show and Echo Spot. Amazon Photos is the latest digital offering to consumers released on the heels of the Amazon Music and Amazon Video offerings. We have ambitious goals to scale growth and adoption of the service around the world and delight our customers with a great product.
What you will do: You will provide technical leadership and vision to the teams building Amazon Photos solutions for FireTV and Fire Tablet. You will ensure that the best engineering practices are followed and that our software is designed to be responsive, reliable and maintainable. You will be a key influencer in our product vision, working with our great designers and product team to build software that millions use. You will work closely with other teams throughout Amazon to design and architect solutions that will scale to hundreds of millions of customers. You will be a role model and mentor for other engineers on the team. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up like environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged.
What we are looking for: You are an experienced Senior Software Engineer who has shipped great software. You've good experience on building scalable services, android apps. You like building client applications and enjoy the freedom and the ability to do things in mobile space that you just cannot do on other client platforms. When given a business problem, you create a technical strategy and deliver with limited guidance. You have a high attention to detail, working closely with business and technical partners to create meaningful change. You influence your team's software architecture and influence related teams architecture too. You solve complex architecture and business problems. Your solutions are extensible and you work to simplify, optimize, and remove bottlenecks. You focus on end to end architecture. Your design and code impact dependencies, yields significant performance, availability, and business value. You successfully launch software for the business and resolve architectural deficiencies. You lead projects to improve engineering, test, and operational excellence best practices on your team. You know your team's architecture in detail and make technical trade-offs between short-term team needs and long-term business needs. You mentor team members and help grow the team.
Why you want to be on the Photos team: We're passionate technology professionals, photographers and photo enthusiasts who are genuinely excited about how we can make preserving and re-living digital photographs a simple joy. We're a close-knit team of friendly, collaborative people who love working together and having fun together. We're super smart and love learning. And did I mention that we also love our dogs?
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 5-7 years of software development experience designing and developing mobile applications
• Ability to teach and mentor junior and mid-level engineers
• Experience with multi-threading and mobile device memory management.
• Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
• Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills