Sr. Software Development Engineer - Amazon Go
- Vancouver, Canada
Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout-you just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths' most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The Role: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than big company. We'll need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, real-time and distributed systems.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will help solve a variety of technical challenges and mentor other engineers. Given that this is an early-stage initiative, you will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You will help invent new features, design, develop and deploy highly scalable and reliable distributed services. You will work with a variety of core languages and technologies including Java, C++, Linux, and AWS technologies.
You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you'll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that's higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that, frankly, haven't been solved at scale before - anywhere. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
• BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical field (In lieu of degree, 7 years of relevant work experience).
• Proficient in at least one of: Java, C++ or other statically compiled language
• At least 5 years' experience as a key member of an engineering team participating in the complete product development life-cycle of successfully launched applications.
• Strong examples demonstrating past work experience, deliverables and/or innovation across a broad range of methods.
• Able to lead architecture, technology strategy for the team
• Able to collaborate with internal & external teams on high-level design, architecture issues
• Help business stakeholders and leadership in defining the tech strategy
• Identify the tech initiatives that needs to be done to meet scale, reduced operational load and simplifying the business initiative
• 5+ years of experience in Java or C++
• Experiences working with AWS services
• Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
• Understanding of best practices, scalability and availability challenges of relational databases
• Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
• Ability to articulate technical challenges and deliver solutions to complex problems
• Practical experience with software engineering best-practices and a strong desire to create quality solutions and designs
• Experience in design and implementation of large scale, distributed, high performance, and high availability systems.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top