Sr Software Development Engineer - Amazon Fulfillment Technologies
- San Diego, CA
Amazon Fulfillment Technologies (AFT) Emerging Technology team powers the physical engine at the heart of Amazon. AFT builds and operates the software, hardware, and processes that run the global network of fulfillment centers, which move billions of units of inventory and ensures customers get what they want when promised. Within AFT, we are constantly innovating in the ways we are automating and accelerating the delivery of products and packages using state of the art software and hardware technologies.
We develop software by applying Advanced Algorithms and Real-Time Data processing using large scale distributed systems. We utilize OO programming languages, Hadoop, Elastic Map Reduce, DynamoDB, and other AWS technologies to build solutions that that solve our challenges, ranging from scaling for massive Amazon order volume to ultrafast order fulfillment.
Our team is looking for a Sr Software Engineer who can lead a team(s) of engineers to deliver high quality software. You will have hands on experience with architecture direction and delegating tasks throughout the team. These software solutions will directly impact Amazon's customers from product selection and order placement, to delivering products to our customers as quickly and cost effectively as possible.
Our focus is being able to build high scalable and innovation solutions at an Amazon scale to optimize our fulfillment centers nationwide and accelerate our delivery process.
What you'll do?
• Participate in the design, implementation, and deployment of successful internet-scale systems and services in support of our fulfillment operations and the businesses they support.
• Participate in the definition of secure, scalable, and low-latency services and efficient physical processes.
• Work with cross-functional teams delivering on demanding projects.
• Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
• Understand system inter-dependencies and limitations.
• Share knowledge in performance, scalability, enterprise system architecture, and engineering best practices.
• As an experienced SDE, you will provide hands on mentoring other software engineers
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Experience with scaling and performance of large systems
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
• Obsession with quality and customer experience - attention to detail coupled with ability to think abstractly
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
Background in distributed computing, service-oriented architectures and enterprise-wide systems.
• Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers.
• Experience influencing software engineering best practices within your team.
• Full stack experience ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
Back to top