Are you passionate about building software, working with smart and motivated engineers, and solving incredible technical challenges? Do you want to flaunt your technical development & debugging skills that can enable teams to achieve high availability? Then this opportunity is for you!
The Last Mile - Availability Engineering team is looking for Systems Development Engineers for our offices in Bellevue, WA.
Come help Amazon create and deploy cutting edge new technologies to help deliver packages to the customer door step! As a Software Development Engineer for Availability Engineering in the Last Mile Technology team, you will be instrumental in helping us create innovative ways to get packages delivered quickly and cost-effectively to the customer. The Last Mile Technology team supports multiple businesses globally, creating the technology that supports deliveries for businesses such as Prime Now, Amazon Flex, Amazon Fresh, Amazon Logistics, and other current and new initiatives.
Our team is seeking Senior Software Development Engineer to manage large, cross functional programs that support Last Mile delivery. In this role you will be responsible for developing & delivering large cross-team projects/functionalities that span multiple technology and operational teams.
Candidates will be a Software Engineers who have a passion for not just building software, but seeing it all the way through the lifecycle into production, and then owning the day-to-day operations of a deployed system.
On a "typical" day, you will build tools and software that helps leaders gain knowledge on their top availability issues. You'll might also Dive Deep to root cause a high sev customer issue, investigate why a metric is trending the wrong way, consult with the top engineers at Amazon, or discuss new approaches to automate operational issues and build better software. You'll become a master at AWS Services platform diagnosis, response, measurement, and automation. You will design and build the operational availability of all Last Mile Technology services as we grow. You will measure your success and it will be visible.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or 8+ years of equivalent professional or military experience
• B.S. in Computer Science or related field, equivalent experience, or a more advanced degree.
• Computer Science fundamentals, including data structures, algorithm design, complexity analysis & operating system concepts.
• Development experience with at least one object-oriented programming language (such as Java, Ruby, , C++/C#)
• Demonstrated proficiency in Linux, hand on and related debugging
• Experience with running / troubleshooting Linux-based servers (any distro)
• Understanding of key networking concepts such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), OSI model, DNS
• Ability to work with teams diverse in culture, background, and location.
• Experience building tools for automation (building, testing, releasing and/or monitoring).
• Ability to dive deep into complex technical problems.
• Excellent problem solving skills.
• Candidates have strong writing and verbal communication skills.
• Adapt quickly to a fast-paced development environment.
• Deep understanding of scalable computing systems
• A solid grasp of networking fundamentals, preferably including hands-on experience with load balancers, switches, routers, etc.
• Familiar with the challenges surrounding efficient operations and failure mode analysis in large complex distributed systems
• Experience working in start-up mode building new products and services from the ground up.
• Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
• Maturity, judgment, negotiation/influence skills, analytical skills, and leadership skills
• Expertise in software processes, web services, multi-tiered systems, workflow modeling, systems testing, and enterprise application integration
• Domain expertise in one or more of the following: security, mobile applications, big data analysis, software testing, user interface design.
• Experience with front-end development: React (or Angular), design, UI/UX, CSS/Bootstrap
• Experience with back-end development: Spring (or Django, Rails), REST, Postgres/Dynamo
• Experience owning and operating services (Linux, on-prem/cloud-native, monitoring, etc)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.