The AWS Hardware Engineering team creates server designs for Amazon's innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and millions of customers who use AWS today. Our engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies.
The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative self-starter. You are knowledgeable of the full technical stack - vertically from baremetal server hardware up to the software in userland, and everything in the middle. You have tremendous interest in cloud scale and curious how systems and software decisions impact the user. You insist on highest-standards and are able to develop software to get feedback from designs. You are an excellent software development engineer. You are a leader with strong organizational, planning, and communication skills. You are a builder!
What you will do
You will be a senior member of a team designing AWS-specific hardware and software. You will provide technology leadership and own software development to increase AWS server design velocity and improve quality. You will be a part of the development effort from conception through production. You will gain a strong understanding of our server stack, and build software-systems to analyze it in its current and future context. You will use comprehensive knowledge of the systems and software to find the best solutions to multi-factor problems. You will collaborate with engineers across the company in architecture, hardware, validation, firmware, and software services. AWS Engineers are shaping the way people use computers and designing the future of cloud computing technology come help us make history!
Why it matters
Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The scale of AWS, combined with an understanding of how our software and hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for component customizations that will directly benefit our customers.
Why you will love it
You will work with engineers across the company to build software for delivering the next-generation platform. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver improvements for AWS. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team. You will have ownership for the implementation of your work. You will see direct product improvements based on the results of your work.
• Bachelors degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field, or equivalent experience
• 7+ years of experience in software development as an engineer
• 7+ years of experience in software system architecture and Agile development practices
• 7+ years of experience building software automation, testing, and verification.
• 7+ years of experience in compute/storage server architecture
• Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field
• Excellent knowledge of software development with Python, Go, or C/C++ in fast paced environment.
• AWS Solutions Architecture knowledge or experience.
• 10+ years of experience with software development for server platform
• Experience with server validation, testing, issue root causing and coverage analysis.
• Experience leading software and/or systems development teams.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to collaborate
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.