Sr. Software Development Engineer
- Austin, TX
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
Using a combination of open source and proprietary technologies, we build cutting-edge devices for multimedia consumption, whether mobile or in the home. As a strong customer advocate, you will help own multimedia technologies and quality end to end (E2E). You will work with internal and external partners to deliver the best in class devices, and will research new technologies, develop new tools and help define processes to build the media stack of next generation devices.
We are looking for a talented, detail-oriented and enthusiastic Software Development Engineer who is passionate about quality and is enthusiastic about new digital products. The person chosen for this position will have the opportunity to contribute their creative ideas and energy to our group. Duties include research, design, implementation, documentation, and maintenance of new and existing systems and the creation of software services and tools to drive the software development process towards higher quality. As a Software Engineer, you will take part in the implementation and customization of software, working closely with application teams to delivering the multimedia core engine. You will be working on cutting edge technologies in the market today. The development will be from the concept stage to the launch stage and ensuring the highest level of quality for your deliverables.
You will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know. In this role, you will:
• Build large-scale distributed software systems in C++, Java and other languages
• Develop software at every level of the stack from app developer facing APIs to low-level embedded software
• Lead the architecture of new services and features that will be deployed and used at massive scale
• Identify, evaluate and suggest mitigation strategies for risks during design
• Be responsible for system architecture and development for new multimedia initiatives and feature development
• Establish architectural principles, select design patterns and then mentor team members on their appropriate applications
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
• 8+ years' professional experience in software development
• Master's degree in Computer Science
• Proficiency in one or more following languages: C++, JavaRuby, Python with scripting knowledge in either Perl, shell scripting, Bash or other.
• Experience architecting Linux enabled embedded multimedia products
• Experience architecting embedded multimedia consumption features and integrating multimedia functionality into consumer electronics devices
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered
• Experience in driving a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
• Experience interfacing with vendors, partners and outside contacts
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
• Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
• Experience with multimedia framework. build system, DRM and optimizations for multimedia framework.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us//
Back to top