Sr. Software Development Engineer
- Arlington, VA
AWS has the most services and more features within those services, than any other cloud providerfrom infrastructure technologies like compute, storage, and databasesto emerging technologies, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, data lakes and analytics, and Internet of Things. AWS Platform is the glue that holds the AWS ecosystem together. Whether its Identity features such as access management and sign on, cryptography, console, builder & developer tools, and even projects like automating all of our contractual billing systems, AWS Platform is always innovating with the customer in mind. The AWS Platform team sustains over 750 million transactions per second.
The AWS Account teams are redefining how we serve our global customer needs. Be part of the founding team that on a mission to evolve the core notion of an AWS Account. Customers and our business, strives to continually find ways to iterate quickly it's our goal to lead the innovation and reduce friction by iterating over existing systems and creating new breakthroughs.
You will move quickly to make customer's life easier by building new systems and by improving existing systems. You will lead design, build and launch new systems that perform at the global scale for millions of customers. Utilize your experience and knowledge of distributed high performing systems, algorithms and data structures.
• Design, develop, implement and support internal/external APIs using current and emerging standards and technologies
• Lead a team of SDEs to build and support internal/external APIs
• Set and expect high standards for solution designs and code reviews, to make sure the software is tuned for performance. Own the quality of delivered components
• Demonstrate leadership to resolve architecture and data challenges
• Support other senior SDEs as you continue to grow and develop
• Partner with geographically distributed teams to deliver results
• Mentor high performing junior engineers
• Work with teams across AWS to build integrate solutions
You will have opportunities to work with principal engineers to build the highly available distributed systems. As the AWS account effects many internal services, you'll work independently, with and across teams.
Have an opportunity to be a member of a brand-new team! The greater team is a diverse, smart, and hardworking team. Among many things, we're parents, musicians, and athletes who also enjoy time outside of the office. We've worked hard to create a trusting, collaborative, and supportive atmosphere. We're looking for engineers to grow a positive, enthusiastic, and driven environment.
We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life
We have a formal mentor search application that lets you find a mentor that works best for you based on location, job family, job level etc. Your manager can also help you find a mentor or two, because two is better than one. In addition to formal mentors, we work and train together so that we are always learning from one another, and we celebrate and support the career progression of our team members.
Our team is diverse! We drive towards an inclusive culture and work environment. We are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Team members are active in Amazon's 10+ affinity groups, sometimes known as employee resource groups, which bring employees together across businesses and locations around the world. These range from groups such as the Black Employee Network, Latinos at Amazon, Indigenous at Amazon, Families at Amazon, Amazon Women and Engineering, LGBTQ+, Warriors at Amazon (Military), Amazon People With Disabilities, and more.
Learn more about Amazon on our Day 1 Blog: https://blog.aboutamazon.com/
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
• 3+ years developing software solutions in large scale (over 10,000 users) global environments
• 3+ years of experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems
• Deep experience in at least one modern programming language such as C, C++, C# or Java and mastery of object-oriented design and programming
• Strong understanding of system and application performance characteristics
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top