Sr. Software Development Engineer
Software Development Engineer, Security Platforms
Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout—you just grab and go! Customers simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what they want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go!
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology, which automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our Just Walk Out Technology uses a variety of technologies including computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA! Our goal is to be Earths' most customer centric company and we are just getting started. We need people who want to join an ambitious program that continues to push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems and hardware design.
The Role: As a Senior Software Development Engineer focusing on Security projects you will partner with other technology leaders within the team to develop solutions for making sure that the Amazon Go solution meets the highest bar for protecting customers' data, integrity and availability of the very complex and novel system.
This role draws on multiple aspects of computer science and software engineering disciplines:
- Software Development: ability to deliver high quality software and design platforms that can be leveraged for complex use cases.
- Security Engineering: emphasis on operating systems and networking, foundational Internet services, authentication and authorization systems.
- Data Science and Intelligence Analysis: emphasis on building data pipelines and algorithms to detect anomalies in large unstructured data sets, ability to synthesize data and reports from different sources.
You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you'll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a lot especially if you are interested in developing security expertise or applying data science to challenging problems. You will surely have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
- Proven success as a technical lead; providing guidance to more junior engineers and able to recommend technical direction for the team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. You will need to be able to drive technical design discussions to a consensus.
- 6+ years of experience in software development.
- 3+ years of rich, hands-on programming experience in Java, C++, or other object-oriented languages. Familiarity with one or more of: Python, Rust.
- 3+ years of experience with OO design and common design patterns.
- Expertise in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis. The ability to produce bullet-proof code that is fault-tolerant, efficient and maintainable.
- Experience in solving system level problems on different platforms - Linux/Windows/iOS.
- Academic and/or industry experience with one of more of the following domains: networking, security,
- Master's or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience in developing low level systems or knowledge of hardware platforms. OR Experience building data pipelines or large scale data gathering platforms and data science techniques such as classification, anomaly detection, clustering, decision trees.
- Familiarity with authentication and authorization systems and protocols.
- Practical knowledge of system security analysis techniques such as threat modeling, attack graphs.
- Familiarity with common attack patterns and exploitation techniques.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top