Sr. Software Development Engineer
- Seattle, WA
The Amazon Devices forecasting and planning team is looking for an energetic, focused and skilled software leader to lead platforms and solutions development within for the Amazon devices planning and forecasting team. We are looking for a seasoned Software Development Engineer with a solid track record that is looking for their next step in a growing organization. If you want to own important business objectives, work with real machine learning systems and big data then read on.
As a senior software leader the candidate must have strong problem-solving and communication skills, and an ability to influence business and technical leaders in a dynamic environment. We are working on our next generation machine learning, big data forecasting technology. Constructing a crystal ball isn't an easy task, but as an example our business needs to be able to predict how many Amazon devices in every configuration that we will sell on Father's day. Well that, and every other day of the year. Joining our team provides the unique challenge and opportunity to build software systems that directly impact the supply, demand and sales of all Amazon devices around the globe. The ideal candidate will have a track record of software development, critical thinking, problem solving skills, and a passion for creating reliable and maintainable systems. The candidate should be open to new challenges and be data driven. Amazon devices demand planning and forecasting team produces a lot of data, and as such we are exemplary in making decisions based on data. The candidate should drive continuous process improvement, and collaborate effectively with aggressive cross-functional business and software development teams to solve problems and implement new solutions.
The team is just getting started and is growing rapidly. This is a great time to get involved an area that is definitely Day 1, and is both exciting and of great benefit to Amazon.
This position requires the candidate to be technically competent leader to provide the vision and leadership to scale our demand planning, forecasting and machine learning systems. This requires a thorough knowledge of what it takes to develop scalable, extensible technology, as well as how to structure and develop organizations to accommodate significant growth rates.
This leader will drive not only develop the next generation product vision, but will also ensure that things are developed and implementation for both simplicity and scale. They will be constantly striving for better and better results on behalf of Amazon's businesses. This leader will develop future game changing initiatives that could include enabling the external productization of our services.
Some technologies and problem spaces the team will be working on:
HIGHLY SCALABLE DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS - We will utilize Amazon's infrastructure to build systems and design algorithms that are able to handle these large amounts of data. Where traditional solutions fail we develop approximate, distributed, and streaming algorithms.
MACHINE LEARNING - We will use the latest machine learning and mathematical modeling technologies to extract information valuable to our business. We will look for patterns, train models, and summarize data to gain insights about customer product needs and experiences. We continually evaluate the effectiveness of our solutions and ways to improve them.
It's an exciting time for at Amazon and especially within our team. We are rebuilding our systems from the ground up. If you want to design, develop and implement systems at scale now and are looking for a challenge, now is a great time to talk to us!
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• BS in Computer Science or equivalent
• 3+ years of industry experience.
• 3+ years of experience with at least one modern object-oriented programming language such as Java or C++.
• 3+ years working in computer science with data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• 2+ years leading and mentoring other development team members
• 8+ years of experience in a leadership position in cross-functional, highly collaborative environment.
• 8+ years experience building complex, high-performance, and highly-available distributed software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers.
• 5+ years of experience with continuous improvement of systems, software and processes through data analysis and metrics.
• 5+ years of experience with agile software development methodologies, especially Scrum, Kanban and/or Scrum-ban
• 2+ years experience working with NoSQL, AWS, micro-services architectures, RESTful APIs, and responsive human centered UI design.
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Back to top