Sr. Software Dev Engineer: Internationalization Platform
- Seattle, WA
Amazon.com's long-term vision is to enable a seamless experience for all Amazon customers worldwide on any Amazon website and device, in any language and for any culture. This extends the personalization of the shopping experience by allowing our customers to define their preferred language and currency and ensure that we provide an equivalent experience for our customers in their language of preference as we do customers in the default marketplace language.
Our team started in early 2014 and, as of March 2017, we have launched multiple languages in 4 different marketplaces (US, Canada, Japan and Germany). Our goal is to provide a framework allowing us to define and measure the quality of these experiences and accelerate language adoption across marketplaces. We believe that, by establishing a platform team and providing tools and mechanisms, we can broadly influence change across Amazon while auditing the quality of our customer experiences.
You're looking for a career where you'll be able to build, to deliver, and to impress. You look at problems holistically, and thrive on the intricate complexity of designing feedback loops and ecosystems. You want to work on projects where you are implementing solutions to real problems that require creative solutions and deep understanding of the problem space. You challenge yourself and others to constantly come up with better solutions. This highly visible role requires frequent communication with senior leadership in order to help shape and deliver on the product roadmap, and requires you to nimbly switch between strategic and tactical initiatives to achieve technical, business, and customer experience goals. You'll be given the unique opportunity to own and drive initiatives across the Amazon Retail as a whole - from algorithmic innovation, all the way down to the datasets that the back-end services consume.
About us together:
We're going to change the way that Amazon thinks about supporting our global customer. Along the way, we're going to face seemingly impossible problems. We're going to argue about how to solve them, and we'll work together to find a solution that is superior to each of the proposals we came in with. We'll make tough decisions, but we'll all understand why. We'll be the dream team.
The ideal engineer for this space will be highly quantitative, have great judgment and passion for building a great customer experience, be inventive, and have a strong track record of delivery. You also have a pragmatic approach and iterative approach to building software: you have an ability to simplify and get things done with a demonstrated track record of building and delivering software and working effectively with external and internal teams.
Some problem spaces we'll be working on:
DATAMART - as we release new languages across marketplaces, our business teams will want to understand customer trends and interactions with these new marketplaces. Ideally, we want to enable our business teams to report on the various languages within a marketplace as if those languages were individual businesses. As such, we need to create a DataMart that enables all business metrics to be split by language and also enables business users to execute ad hoc queries to answer questions that we have not currently considered. As we create the DataMart, we will have to consider the scale of data that we will be handling (at the scale of Amazon's global retail business) and employ BigData techniques to aggregate and manipulate this data. We will need to design the platform to be robust and to seamlessly recover from disaster, should the need arise. Consistency and validation will be primary concerns as we understand that systems fail, specifically systems upon which we rely for signal and we need to protect our business teams from making decisions based upon incomplete information.
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE - as arbiters of the customer experience, we need to understand our customers' experience in their languages of preference. Similarly, given the scope of this initiative, it is clear that we will not be able to translate all content in a single release. As a result, it is critical that we can truly measure the customer experience as a function of our translations (both coverage and quality) throughout their journey within the Amazon marketplace. This is further complicated by the fact that our customers receive a unique experience based upon their browse history, so our method of measurement must be considerate of and support such a dynamic experience. Furthermore, in real time and with zero latency, we want to understand when the experience is broken so that we can take appropriate actions. This is going to be a challenge that may make use of the latest BigData streaming technologies to provide a real-time data and measurement pipeline.
You may already know if you're a fit, but perhaps you're worried about technology and experience requirements? Don't be - we're looking for smart, proven, engineers; if you're the right candidate, we're flexible.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related technical discipline
• 5+ years of professional software development experience
• Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
• Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
• Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
• Proficiency in, at least, one modern programming language such as C, C++, C#, Java, or Perl
• Experience with Agile (SCRUM, RUP, XP), OO modeling, web services, UNIX, middleware, database and data mining systems
• Master's degree in computer science, Math or Physics or related field
• Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience with MapReduce frameworks such as Hadoop and BigData streaming technologies such as Kinesis
• Experience with building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems.
• A high degree of pragmatism in building the simplest thing that does the job; we want to use technology to solve real-world problems expediently, not indulge in over-designed, unnecessarily intricate software architecture.
• A willingness to dive deep, experiment rapidly and get things done.
• A good understanding of SDLC models and a track record of shipping software efficiently. You recognize the difference between building software and shipping software.
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
• Delivered ad targeting and serving infrastructure
• A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects - including on iOS and Android
• Deep hands-on technical expertise, excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
• Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
Back to top