Want to change the world with Big Data? Come join us on the Amazon EMR team!
EMR is a massively scaled distributed service that gives users fast and predictable Big Data performance with clusters running Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Presto and more, with the ability to effortlessly scale up and down as needed. We run millions of customer clusters, enabling processing on vast datasets.
We are developing innovative new features including the next-generation cluster management system, realtime processing for big data and intuitive ways of interacting with data, and we're looking for top engineers to build them from the ground up.
This is a hands-on position where you will be do everything from designing and building extremely stable components and cutting-edge features to formulating strategy for EMR to keep in Big Data, mentor other engineers and work with the savviest customers in the business to help them get the best results. You will have a chance to work with the open source community and contribute significant portions its software to open source projects possibly including Hadoop, Spark, Presto, Hive, Hbase, etc. You need to not only be a top software developer with excellent programming skills, an understanding of big data and parallelization, and a stellar record of delivery but also excel at and customer obsession and have a real passion for massive-scale computing. If you want to truly test your mettle against the hardest in distributed systems to build solutions for large scale problems in a wide variety of domains, come join our group.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Keeping your finger on the pulse of the constantly evolving and growing Big Data field
- Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Delivering systems and features with top-notch quality, on time
- Stay current on technical knowledge to keep pace with rapidly changing technology, and work with the team in bringing new technologies on board
In joining our team, you will get to work with a minimum of technical supervision, while playing a variety of roles as needed to respond efficiently to multiple program priorities. You will get to collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the industry. You'll enjoy great benefits, a creative and agile work environment, and the exciting opportunity to be part of a fast-paced and growing team and one of the most innovative technology companies - but most of all, you will get the satisfaction of making products that millions use everyday to great effect!
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience
• 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
• 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
• Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 5+ years of experience OR Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 7+ years experience, in: software development, including design, implementation, debugging, and support
• Very strong Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, data structures, problem solving, and complexity
• Strong proficiency in developing objected-oriented software, with deep experience in one or more relevant languages (Java, C, C++, C#)
• Experience designing and building highly-scaled distributed systems and web services
• Thorough understanding of parallel algorithms, concurrency, asynchronous architectures
• Experience working in an agile software development organization
• Experience building with SOA using Java on Linux
• Proficiency in high-performance, multi-threaded programming
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Knowledge of and contribution to Hadoop ecosystem
• Experience with distributed systems architecture
• Experience with one or more of Ruby, Python, Perl
• Proven ability to effectively drive cross-team solutions that may have complex dependencies
• Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science with emphasis on distributed systems and Big Data architectures is a plus
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit US Disability Accommodations.