Sr. Software Dev Engineer
The Team: How often have you had an opportunity to be a founding member of a team that is tasked with solving a huge business problem through innovative technology? Would you like to know more about how computer vision and machine learning can be used to solve these problems? If this sounds intriguing, then we'd like to talk to you about a role on a new Amazon team that is tackling a set of problems requiring significant innovation.
The Role: Everyone on the team needs to be entrepreneurial, wear many hats and work in a highly collaborative environment that's more startup than big company. We'll need to tackle problems that span a variety of domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning, real-time and distributed systems.
As a Sr. Software Development Engineer, you will help solve a variety of technical challenges and mentor other engineers. Given that this is an early-stage initiative, you will play an active role in translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables and build quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You will help invent new features, design, develop and deploy highly scalable and reliable distributed services. You will work with a variety of core languages and technologies including Java, C++, Perl/Mason, Linux, Oracle, and Berkeley DB's.
You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and given the size of this initiative, you'll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon in different locations. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that's higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems that, frankly, haven't been solved at scale before - anywhere. Along the way, we guarantee that you'll learn a ton, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Proven success as a technical lead; providing guidance to more junior engineers and able to recommend technical direction for the team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. You will need to be able to drive technical design discussions to a consensus.
- 6+ years of experience in software development.
- 3+ years of rich, hands-on programming experience in Java, C++, or other object-oriented languages. Familiarity with one or more of: Python, Perl, PHP.
- 3+ years of experience with OO design and common design patterns.
- Expertise in data structures, algorithms, and complexity analysis. The ability to produce bullet-proof code that is fault-tolerant, efficient and maintainable.
- Academic and/or industry experience with one of more of the following domains: computer vision, image recognition, machine learning or large-scale distributed systems.
- Master's/PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with designing and building large-scale systems in a multi-tiered, distributed environment (Service Oriented Architecture).
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and project planning/execution skills including estimating and scheduling.
- Experience optimizing for short term execution while planning for long term technical capabilities. Ability and willingness to multi-task and learn new technologies quickly.
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top