Amazon Kinesis Firehose is a new fully managed service to load streaming data into AWS. It can capture and automatically load streaming data into different destinations, enabling near real-time analytics with existing business intelligence tools and dashboards you're already using today. It is a fully managed service that automatically scales to match the throughput of your data and requires no ongoing administration. It can also batch, compress, and encrypt the data before loading it, minimizing the amount of storage used at the destination and increasing security.
We are hiring engineers for the Kinesis Firehose Team. The team owns all aspects of the Firehose service, including requirements, architecture, design & development, quality assurance, deployment and operations. As an engineer in this team, you will learn the ins and outs of building a highly available, scalable, distributed and secure system that uses all the modern cloud computing paradigms, techniques and tools.
The ideal candidate has experience designing large-scale systems supporting millions of transactions per second, enjoys solving complex software problems, and possesses skills to innovate, design and solve problems at scale. Ideally you have an in-depth understanding of streaming data technologies like Amazon Kinesis or Apache Kafka, and experience with open-source data processing frameworks like Apache Spark, Apache Flink, or Apache Storm. Your responsibilities will include collaborating with other engineers to build a large scale AWS service, and work with senior leaders to define your team's roadmap, including identifying design and code changes needed in the underlying open source platforms.
Why would you want to work for the Amazon Kinesis team?
• Impact: streaming data processing is the next wave of `Big Data Analytics' and is one of the hottest areas of computer science. You will work on core technology that will be used by some of the most innovative companies in this space.
• Technology: Amazon Kinesis Firehose leverages cutting edge computer science and world-class engineering and is built on top of Amazon's revolutionary cloud platform. You will have the opportunity to get involved with and contribute at one of the frontiers of computer science.
• Wear many hats : You will have deep ownership of many different aspects of the service, such as product direction, technical design and implementation, and operations.
• Learning: Work alongside some of Amazon's most senior engineers and learn how to build and maintain a massively scalable and reliable service.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or similar; or equivalent experience
- Several years experience in system software development and delivery
- Advanced software engineering skills, including the ability to write expert-level, maintainable, and robust code in C++ (preferred), Java, C, or similar
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in algorithms and data structures
- Working experience with high concurrency, multithreaded and distributed systems
- Experience building high volume and highly scalable online services.
- Experience operating highly available services.
- Experience with distributed systems, consistent hashing, distributed locking, check-pointing, and load balancing.
- Working knowledge of Hadoop, MapReduce, Kafka, Kinesis, Spark or other Big Data processing platforms.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, startup-like environment.
- Experience mentoring other engineers.
- Strong problem solving ability and object-oriented design skills.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us