Sr Program Manager, Capacity Planning
- San Diego, CA
Buyer Risk Operations drives stopping the bad actors from using our systems to hurt our great customers. We do this by ensuring that we have the right staffing for a 24-by-7-by-365 operation worldwide that support our existing countries, new countries, and all of the many new product offerings that Amazon is launching.
To deliver on this our Buyer Operations team is looking for a talented Strategy Manager who will be able to lead our thinking and planning for the upcoming years. This leader will take ownership of our planning for global staffing covering Amazon largest workforce mitigating for Risk. As the leader of the Strategy team you will define the team vision, develop the long term strategy, build and deliver our roadmap for process and planning improvements, and deliver our planning output for HC staffing. To do this we are looking for a leader who is blend of process, analytical, and communication skills. This position requires a solution-oriented candidate with a combination of deep business acumen, capacity planning, statistical best practices, and an analytical mindset to enable tactical workflow planning and proactive responses to service level challenges. The candidate must have the ability to work with diverse stakeholder groups to solve business problems and provide data solutions that are organized and simple to understand.
Some of the challenges this person will get to solve with their team and the responsibilities that she/they/he will own:
1. What is the long term, global, site strategy for Buyer Operations (staffing for a team of 4K people WW)?
2. How do me mature our tools and process to support our forecasting and planning from a yearly and monthly view to a weekly, daily, and sub-day view in support of ever faster shipping speeds at Amazon?
3. Mitigate capacity risks by managing dependencies across multiple operating units and sites.
4. Clearly communicate dependencies and manage/track expectations
5. Build an Analysis function that allows us to quickly ask big questions and take the answers as inputs to our planning and execution.
9. Analyze drivers of significant forecast misses to continuously improve forecasting
12. Ambiguity: High degree of uncertainty in both problem definition and solution approach. Delivers with complete independence.
13. Execution: Initiates the design, development, and implementation of analysis projects that optimize staffing, scheduling, shifts. Applies analytical principles/concepts to problems. Makes informed trade-offs to deliver results.
14. Knowledge: Knowledge of contact/call center domains. Skillset to apply analytical principles, tools, and techniques.
15. Results & Accountability: Ensures that effective controls are developed and maintained across the organization.
• Bachelors degree
• 5+ years of program/project management experience
• 5+ years of experience leading projects in an Operations environment
• Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment and work under tight deadlines
• Proven ability to drive projects efficiently in a cross-functional environment by establishing respect and confidence in the business and technical communities Proven knowledge of Six Sigma tools and Lean techniques
• Proven analytic skills
• Demonstrated operations research or capacity planning experience
• 7+ years of large scale Product/Program/Project management experience in leading multi-organizational initiatives, and driving team accountability to achieve impactful goals
• Proven analytical aptitude, including the ability to mine and analyze large, complex data sets
• Six sigma black belt level capabilities in deconstructing processes and metrics, to identify areas of opportunity and lead the development and implementation of new processes
• Ability to motivate and focus people resources where there is no direct reporting relationship
• MBA or Masters degree in related field
• Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Certified Six Sigma Black Belt
• Some programming experience is a plus to automate tools whenever appropriate
• Database Administration skills
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top