Sr. Operations Engineering Manager
Amazon is seeking an industry proven and detail-oriented Sr. Operations Engineering Manager for design, build, and continuous improvement of our order fulfillment infrastructure.
Successful candidates are natural self-starters who have prior engineering experience in the integrated automation project life cycle, including their development, design, implementation, enhancement, and support. This individual ideally has directly managed the execution of large capital automation projects with a cumulative spend of less than $25MM and aggressive schedule commitments.
Our Sr. Operations Engineering Manager must be agile with the ability to quickly adapt strategies, plans, and solutions in response to dynamic business requirements. They also must be comfortable interfacing and driving various functional teams and individuals at all levels of the organization.
Open minds, customer focus, innovation empowerment, advanced technologies, team comradely, individual drive, and occasional senses of humor enable our Regional Operations Engineering team to deliver the most advance fulfillment solutions in the world.
If you have proven integrated automation project engineering experience, thrive on the corresponding challenges, seek an opportunity for professional growth, and want to help Amazon further raise our fulfillment solution bar, then this role is for you!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design, build, improve, and innovate order fulfillment infrastructure throughout the large-scale supply chain network
- Manage, design, and drive implementation of large-scale programs across multiple fulfillment building types. Material handling elements may include high-speed sortation, multiple conveyors, package lines and/or robotic work cells
- Typical project installation values range from less than $1MM to greater than $50MM
- Evaluate issues and propose actionable resolutions to design problems
- Identify and communicate needs for design improvements
- Monitor and enforce project schedules and quality with vendors or subcontractors
- Lead and coordinate design and execution efforts between internal teams and outside vendors including equipment specifications, material flow, process design, and site layout
- Develop processes and tools to improve execution efficiency across multiple programs
- Contribute significantly to the MHE system firm engineering review process. Push for implementation of ideas and methods to improve overall system performance
- Lead Execution PMO team to drive standards and consistency across North America capital execution
- Develop program managers to excel at vendor and program management
- Develop and manage budget and contract documents including RFPs, Milestone Trackers, Vendor Commissioning schedules, and Amazon Qualification schedules
- Build strong working relationships with FC leadership and their operations teams across multiple sites as well as their Launch, Facilities, Finance, Safety, and Process Engineers business stakeholders
- General knowledge of FC operations with understanding of day to day workings and strategic FC / Network planning
- Oversee data mining and analyze the results to provide recommendations or conclusions
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, Operations, Business Administration, or a related field; or two (2) plus years of Amazon work experience
- 5+ years of experience as a project engineer, process engineer, project manager, manufacturing engineer, or related occupation
- 3+ years of experience as a program manager, engineering manager, operations manager, manufacturing manager, or related occupation
- Directly managed and responsible for cumulative automation project budgets of more than $25MM
- Experience as technical leader for large-scale industrial engineering projects
- Experience directly influencing external service providers to successful outcomes
- Experience in design and/or implementation with integrated automation solutions, such as complex material handling systems, high speed packaging lines, and manufacturing lines
- Experience in Microsoft Office products: Excel, Project, and Outlook
- Experience in CAD skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% of time to installation sites throughout North America
- Master's degree in Engineering, Operations, Business
- Operations Management / Fulfillment Center experience
- Exposure to Six Sigma, Lean manufacturing efforts, transportation/logistics, and/or fulfillment/distribution centers
- Committed to learning and expanding professional and technical knowledge
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills and ability to use hard data and metrics to back-up assumptions and develop business cases
- Ability to clearly communicate data insights to others and execute positive change
- High-attention to detail including proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities simultaneously
- You have an eye for efficiency and bring experience identifying and implementing large-scale process improvement initiatives using data-driven techniques (performance metrics or Lean techniques)
- You have the ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment, and when given a deadline you know how to motivate yourself and your direct reports and meet it
- You volunteer to lead projects and help your team achieve goals. You have a track record of taking ownership and driving results
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top