Sr Network Dev. Engineer - Networking
- Seattle, WA
The AWS Networking organization is hiring, and we're looking for great Network Development Engineers (NDE) to join our team. Within Networking, we're confronting and solving complex and high-stakes challenges. Our teams support all aspects of connectivity to/from Amazon and the outside world, as well as the connectivity between Amazon's data centers and services. As a member of one our network engineering teams, you will play a part in designing and architecting networks that simply cannot fail, must scale infinitely, and can never constrain growth or innovation. If working on the networks that support the world's largest cloud provider and Earth's most customer-centric company interests you, please read on!
For this role, we are seeking Network Development Engineers to work in our Data Center Network Engineering organization. This team is responsible for designing all of Amazon's massive scale data center networks. Our data center networks provide high bandwidth and low latency solutions for aggregating server racks, inter-connecting data centers in our regional backbone, inter-connecting our data centers to our Border network, and for management and monitoring of all network devices and critical data center infrastructure. Engineers in this organization define the hardware platforms, physical topologies, routing architectures and software control systems for these networks. Engineers on this team make day-to-day and strategic decisions that carry a huge amount of responsibility and impact. If you're up the challenge, we'd love to hear from you!
We are inventing the networks of the future so our engineers require a deep background in network hardware, routing protocols and designing large scale networks. The ideal candidate for this team would have a knowledge of ASICs, optics and router system design as well as extensive experience designing and implementing routings protocols such BGP and OSPF. We're interested in engineers with experience having designed, operated, and implemented networks of very large scale. We're looking for those who have pushed platforms and protocols to their limits.
In addition to fundamental Networking skills our engineers must have Linux experience and background in network automation. SDN is a reality at Amazon and our networks are designed to be fully managed and operated via software systems. Some proficiency in Python, Perl, C, or Shell Scripting is required.
Experience managing large projects to completion is a must, either as project manager or lead. NDEs are expected to self-manage several projects at a time, providing regular status updates and identifying and pushing through obstacles.
It's important to be cross-disciplinary and accustomed to "reaching across the aisle", as you will be working with many hardware, software and customer organizations across Amazon translating customer and business requirements into actual technical solutions.
As a Network Development Engineer at Amazon, your core job responsibility is to design network topologies, architectures, and services that solve for many requirements. We listen to our customers (both internal and external), but we also listen to our teams. Our Engineers contribute materially to each team's roadmap, and constantly help us to determine what's most important. Together, you and your leadership team will decide on the projects that best support your team's mission. You will have the resources and time necessary to understand, scope, and deliver these solutions. The primary area of responsibility you and your team will have is to design ahead of customer or technology needs, always predicting and solving for problems that have not yet occurred. This takes the form of creating and defending High Level Design (HLD) documents, working with vendors or internal stakeholders to influence technology roadmaps, constructing and testing your solutions, and providing support to the teams that will deploy and operate these designs. Our teams also serve as technical escalation points in support of our very talented operations teams.
• Bachelor's Degree in a technology related field or equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree
• 8+ years professional experience working in large scale networking environments.
• Experience with internet routing protocols and concepts: TCP/IP, BGP, MPLS, ISIS and/or OSPF
• Experience with network operating systems such as Cisco IOS and Junos.
• Experience working in a Linux/Unix environment
• Experience in automation via Bash/shell scripting and Perl/Python programming.
• Candidates should have a minimum of 5 years of industry experience in a similar environment.
• Background with high availability, high performance compute, large-scale networks and network design and architecture is highly preferred
• Good understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms and distributed systems
• Demonstrated experience automating and managing networks (automated provisioning, remote configuration, etc. )
• Statistical analysis and data analytics experience
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills and an ability to interact efficiently with peers and customers is required, as well as experience initiating, driving and managing in-event conference calls
• Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Back to top