Sr. Mgr. Software Development, Alexa ASR
Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) is the key speech recognition technology that enables Alexa's groundbreaking, cloud-based intelligent agent, which powers Echo, and other devices designed around your voice. We have a team culture that encourages innovation and expect individuals and management alike to take a high degree of ownership for the product vision, and project delivery. Our mission is to push the envelope in Artificial Intelligence and Audio Signal Processing in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers. To that end, we are looking for a Sr. Software Development Manager to help build industry-leading speech technologies that customers love.
As a Sr. Software Development Manager for the ASR Services team, your responsibilities will include being a leader of leaders, championing improvements in the design, development, testing, and deployment of distributed systems and big data solutions for ASR initiatives, which push the boundaries of machine intelligence. You are proactive in removing roadblocks, pave the way for innovation, and can handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment. You act as a leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and has a consistent track-record of delivery.
A successful candidate will have a proven background in building services, managing the development of existing code, scaling systems with large data sets, automation, developing customer-facing experiences, and delivering results in a fast-paced environment.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Interface with a diverse customer base to understand requirements, priorities, and processes
- Work closely with engineers and scientists to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Set clear, measurable quality goals for an organization in a data-driven way
- Have the obsession to drive a world-class experience for Alexa Customers
- Bring innovative ideas to the table every day, in order to find better ways of accomplishing our customer objectives
- Own the strategic planning and project management for long-term engineering projects, creating value for our customers
- Manage the over-all systems development life cycle
- Communicate effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from research teams, software engineering teams, and other technical and business teams
- Regular reporting on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Own and champion engineering and operational excellence through establishment of group-wide metrics for measurement with a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
- At least 6 years of experience managing software development teams
- Experience with programming languages such as C/C++, Java, Perl or Python and open-source technologies (Apache, Hadoop)
- Excellent written and verbal technical communication with an ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, or related technical field
- Ability to rapidly prototype and evaluate applications and interaction methodologies
- Experience in building complex, real-time software systems involving AI and ML that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Strong experience working effectively with science, data processing, and software engineering teams
- Strong project management experience desired for working on cross-functional projects
- Entrepreneurial spirit combined with strong architectural and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects with evolving requirements
Meet Some of Amazon's Employees
Senior UX Designer
Mae integrates human-centered design into tools that enable business partners to operate efficiently and intuitively. She analyzes customer needs and pain points to improve designs.
Back to top