Sr Mgr, Research Science
- Seattle, WA
Are you an exceptional science leader who is interested in building innovative products that optimize a global supply chain? Within Amazon's Supply Chain Optimization Technology (SCOT) team, the Capacity team owns the systems that help decide where to place hundreds of millions of units of inventory a week, ensuring that we are optimizing capacity across our supply chain globally to get inventory closer to customers. We are looking for a Sr RS that enjoys solving complex supply chain problems and demonstrates strategic thinking, leading the team to success. As a leader in SCOT, you will own and drive improvements in the Amazon's supply chain, continually raising the bar by delivering Supply Chain efficiencies. There are no textbook solutions to the problems we are solving and very few attempts have been made to solve at Amazon's scale, which necessitates an analytical thinking to solve problems.
The ideal candidate will be a proven sciences leader who is a self-starter comfortable with ambiguity, demonstrates strong attention to detail, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. You will have excellent business, technical, analytical and strategic thinking skills. You are effectively able to work with product, business and technology leaders to define and prioritize key customer problems, build data acquisition and integration pipelines to create data sets, develop statistical and machine learning models and deliver analyses and insights that answer these problems. You will have strong quantitative modeling skills and expertise using data mining and statistical analyses at web-scale to coach and guide the team to produce actionable insights and recommendations. You will lead by example and are comfortable taking on projects and delivering results as an individual contributor.
• Masters degree in a quantitative field (economics, computer science, statistics, or equivalent)
• 7+ years experience applying ML to solve complex problems for large-scale applications
• 3+ years experience managing Machine Learning Scientists
• Superior analytical skills. Demonstrated ability to identify and solve ambiguous problems
• Demonstrated ability to operate both strategically and tactically in a high-energy, fast-paced environment
• High degree of organization and ability to manage multiple, competing priorities.
• Experience hiring and leading experienced scientists as well as a successful record of developing junior members from academia/industry
• Excellent communication (verbal and written) and collaboration skills that enable you to earn trust at all levels.
• Extreme attention to detail and desire to roll up your sleeves.
• Skilled with Java, Python, or other programming language
• Ability to clearly communicate high level strategy and technical details effectively across disciplines, locations, and organizations, including to senior leadership
• Demonstrated ability to design, build, and deliver complex, successful services and/or customer experiences efficiently
• Proven team leadership, interpersonal skills, and ability to get things done
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Strong technical foundation with demonstrated willingness and capability to learn new technologies quickly
• Burning desire to build great experiences for our customers
• Familiarity with cloud computing
• Expertise building scalable, available, and low-latency systems
• Expertise with machine learning and feedback loops
• Familiar with supply chain processes and systems
Back to top