Sr. Mgr., Quality Engineering Management
- Wallingford, CT
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo and Amazon Show. The Amazon Devices group delivers delightfully unique Amazon experiences, giving customers instant access to everything, digital or physical.
The Senior Manager, Quality Engineering Manager (QEM) is responsible for leading a team of Quality Engineering Managers and ensuring that our products meet the expectations of our customers. This responsibility begins early in our development phase, where the team investigates new processes and technologies that could impact the quality of the device, and mitigating these risks through the validation phases. Later the Sr. Mgr. QEM will lead the team through assessing and mitigating risks associated with our launch and first product shipments. Additionally, this role is responsible for the successful roll out of the various products in the initial months of the ramp into the marketplace. They work with other cross-functional leaders from engineering, reliability, operations and product management throughout all aspects of their work. The successful candidate will establish quality goals and monitor performance with his team, investigating the full suite of failure analysis leading to root cause determination and subsequent closed loop corrective action. The Sr. Mgr. QEM leads his team through quality lesson's learned and institutes remedies to prevent re-occurrence of quality issues and possess a high sense of urgency when managing critical issues.
The Sr. Mgr, QEM of will drive continuous improvement in all aspects of the job, deal with ambiguity, and influence at all levels of the company, including making quality assessments and risk appraisals to executive leadership . As a senior leader, this role requires building a team of Quality Engineering Managers and coaching their development to achieve high performance.
In this role, you will:
• Lead Quality Engineering Managers, having broad responsibility to hire and to build a high performing and capable team
• Create a vision for the team and set priorities aligned with the goals for the larger organization
• Understand the technology and functionality of consumer electronic products, assessing the risk to a negative customer experience, thereby preventing issues during development and in the marketplace.
• Be an expert in advanced quality methods and protocol.
• Lead cross-functional teams in Design for Quality initiatives.
• Utilize your comprehensive knowledge of standards, related disciplines, company strategy and goals, to ensure a positive customer experience.
• Deliver solutions to complex problems through in-depth data analysis and forensics by using methodical approaches, along with experience, innovation and judgment to make decisions that may be based on partial information.
• Understand detailed implications of decisions and recommendations and be able to communicate recommended solutions to the product development team, all the way up through the executive leadership of the company.
• Align cross-functionally, influencing a broad spectrum of stakeholders to deliver on the quality policy.
• Create standards around which others will operate and build consensus
• Determine specific quality related functional milestones during NPI
• BSME/BSIE/BSEE or related Engineering degree.
• 10+ years of experience in an engineering and/or quality role
• Understand technology, at the system and commodity level as well as software and usability
• 10+ years use of statistical tools like Minitab, JMP
• 5+ years of management experience
• MS/MBA: Engineering, Manufacturing, or Operations Management
• Certified Quality Engineer
• Excellent written and oral communication
• Strong ability to work with and influence others
Lab126 is part of the Amazon group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top