Embrace the challenge and accelerate your growth with Amazon's International Public Policy Team with Amazon's International Public Policy Team (IPP). The Senior Manager for EU Sustainability Policy will join a growing and dynamic team that works across Europe, Middle East, Africa, India and Asia Pacific, in support of Amazon's global consumer and digital businesses. The role can be based either in Brussels or Luxembourg.
Like our business interests, our policy issues are broad, topical, forward-thinking, and driven by what is best for our customers, both internal and external. The International Public Policy team works with a wide range of national, local, and supranational policymakers, industry organizations and academia across numerous regulatory and policy issues, spanning policy, consumer and commercial environment.
This is a highly visible, leadership role in a critical focus areas for the company. As the Senior Manager for EU Sustainability Policy you will lead Amazon's engagement with EU policymakers on a diverse range of sustainability policy issues, ranging from sustainable transportation to renewable energy, to circularity. You must be able to manage and drive complex projects, set strategic policy priorities, and provide clear and confident guidance, including in situations of high ambiguity. You will need to demonstrate an astute understanding of the public policy and regulatory environment for sustainability policy and regulation. You will also lead Amazon's policy-focused sustainability work with relevant industry associations, wider coalitions, and think tanks. You will be one of the key voices and figures communicating to EU officials about The Climate Pledge, under which Amazon has committed to achieve carbon neutrality across our businesses by 2040, ten years before the Paris Accord's goal of 2050.
Internally, you will lead cross functional business teams, locally and globally, to develop and implement positioning and engagement strategies including but not limited to the EU Green Deal. You will coordinate with staff and oversee consultants tracking European and member state sustainability initiatives. On behalf of multiple business stakeholders, you will monitor Green Deal initiatives and proposals, coordinate with the legal team to evaluate their potential impacts, work across teams to develop policy positions and support IPP's efforts to develop legislative or advocacy strategies. You will be a confident leader, but are also able to operate respectfully and collaboratively within wider regional and international structures.
• 15 years of relevant public policy and advocacy experience, e.g., within corporate public policy and government relations, in public administration, law firm, trade associations or non-governmental organizations.
• A keen working understanding of policy-making processes and government relations, particularly as they relate to sustainability policy.
• Written and spoken fluency in English
• An advanced degree in area of study relevant to the role.
• Experience working at high level and collaboratively in a highly-matrixed environment, alongside teams including Legal, PR, and business teams.
• Knowledge of EU policymaking process and institutions; experience developing advocacy campaigns in the EU context.
• Project management experience.
• Public speaking experience.
• International experience.
• A track record of highest integrity and public policy success.
• Familiarity with international climate policy; knowledge of current policy environment in at least several of the key areas of the Green Deal (e.g., renewable energy, sustainable transportation, circular economy, waste reduction, plastics and toxins, sustainable governance, finance).
• Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• A self-starter who can take general direction and produce specific results.
• Able to coordinate a wide array of internal and external resources to obtain, process, and operationalize information and strategy.
• Strong judgment and decision-making skills.
• Capable of confidently using experience and data to assess and recommend a best course of action even in an ambiguous situation.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.