Are you ready to take on some of the hardest scalability, performance, and computing challenges in the world? Our team's vision is to be the world's authoritative provider of computing insight, where customers can understand, control and optimize usage of products. Because we sit at the nexus of all services and interact directly with end-customers, we build relationships with teams across AWS to ensure that we offer a secure and reliable customer experience. We take inputs from these services and merge them with the millions of events every second to produce actionable insight to our customers.
We are looking for a Sr. Software Development Manager to lead a large, distributed team of engineers in AWS Insights. Our fast-growing team builds products and services that power invoicing and tax computation for millions of AWS customers every month. Our mission is to make these inherently complexes processes simple, seamless, and easy to manage, increasing ease of doing business with AWS, and allowing our customers to focus their time and energy on innovation.
This role requires ownership, autonomy, and an ability to deliver results. You should be a self-starter with a bias towards independent problem solving. Clear communication and prioritization will be important as you partner with Product Management to plan, and deliver experiences for all of customers. Your passion for the potential of computing to improve people's lives, and proven experience managing complex technology projects will help you make strong business judgments. Roll up your sleeves, build an engineering team second to none, and have fun while creating significant customer value. Your expertise is deep and broad; you start with the customer and work backwards to develop a coherent vision for services that support the flexibility and that customers expect from us.
Key responsibilities include:
• Translation of complex functional and technical requirements into detailed project plans and schedules; manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team by defining, implementing and maintaining a coherent, progressive development strategy for our product line.
• Delivery of quality applications on-time and on-budget
• Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
• Management of departmental resources, staffing, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
• Evolution of the software engineering practice within the organization, including better reporting, tools, and evolution of development methodology
• Continue to build an effective development organization by driving the recruiting and hiring of senior level engineers, developing and managing the group, and conducting performance reviews of team members
• Create and execute appropriate quality plans, project plans, test strategies and processes for development activities in concert with business and project management efforts.
• Drive and manage the bug triage process, represent development team in project meetings to ensure efficient testing and bug fixing process, and be an effective advocate for the development group
• Report on status of product quality to management, customer support and product teams via rigorous execution of detailed plans and accurate reporting of test cases executed, bugs discovered, bugs fixed, etc.
• Operational Excellence - monitoring & operation of production services
1) Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
2. Work/Life Balance
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives. This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
3. Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
• 8+ years of experience building and leading development teams that and deliver highly reliable and distributed systems
• 5+ years of direct people leadership experience with 2+ years experience managing managers.
• Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline.
• MBA advanced degree
• Certified Scrum Master, Agile Certified Practitioner similar certification
• Experience with large billing e-commerce platforms including systems involving complex business logic
• Experience delivering products, managing budgets and rationalizing resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners
• Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills