Sr Manager, Software Development, AWS ElastiCache
- Seattle, WA
Are you passionate about building a large-scale, distributed, durable, highly available data stores that run at microseconds latency and high throughput?
Amazon ElastiCache is one of the largest and most interesting services at AWS. We operate at a massive scale and power many of the top companies in the world. We are looking for top talent to take the service to the next phase, and focus on ElastiCache's data plane.
We're on the lookout for a leader who is passionate about large scale highly performing distributed systems and people. In this position, you will not only lead a highly talented engineering team, but also partner with product management and senior leadership to ensure that we are building the right product for our customers and the business.
In the larger scope of the role, you will be responsible for rethinking the assumptions behind how traditional database services were built and thinking how to build database services best suited for the cloud.
You will own the design, development, testing and deployment of these database services. You will draw from a deep and broad technical expertise to mentor engineers and provide leadership on complex technical issues.
You will manage teams and be responsible for delivering some of our most strategic technical projects, deliver large scalable systems, design new software systems at the cutting edge of distributed database technology, and have a significant bottom-line impact on our business and competitive position.
As a senior manager of software development in AWS, you will part of the larger technical leadership community that forms the backbone of the company, plays a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives, influences our long-term technical and business strategy, hires top talent engineers, and ultimately enables us to deliver to our customers innovative new solutions rapidly.
This position within Amazon ElastiCache represents a unique and rare opportunity to get in on the ground floor within a fast growing business and help shape the technology, the product, and the business. A successful candidate will bring deep technical and software expertise, strong business acumen and judgment, an ability to define visionary, ground breaking products, ability to hire and lead a team, desire to have an industry wide impact and ability to work within a fast moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
• Build, lead, and mentor high performing teams that do core software development.
• Lead the design, implementation, and deployment of successful highly distributed, large scale services.
• Responsible for identifying, commissioning and leading work on complex, large-scale systems that have a major impact on the entire company.
• Serve as a lead on demanding, multi-team, cross-functional projects.
• Actively participate in hiring talented people and assist in the career development of others both on and outside your team, mentoring individuals and helping other managers guide the career growth of their team members.
• Play a critical role in the broad business planning, working closely with senior executives to develop business targets and resource requirements. Help form long-term technical and business strategy and goals.
• Demonstrate high levels of creativity and right judgments, most of the time.
• Understand business context to decisions made within and across groups.
• Maintain a current understanding of industry and technology trends.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
• Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
• 15+ years in software development
• 7+ years in engineering people management position
• Candidates must have a strong computer science background.
• Excellent communication skills and ability to work well in a team are critical.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment.
• Deep hands-on technical expertise in at least two or three major technical areas: large scale systems engineering, low level performance optimization, and building database systems
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering with 15 years of relevant software development and engineering management experience
• A leadership position in a team delivering remarkable user experiences in industry leading products
• Work experience delivering one or more version one products
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
Back to top