Are you interested in building a team of software engineers tasked with building a new AWS service that intersect cloud computing, Big Data, machine learning, and customer engagement? Do you enjoy the challenge of building and managing a high performing software engineering team? Do you want to make an impact at a global scale? Then you should join our team!
Customer Engagement is a growth agent for companies that look to invest in communicating and engaging with their end customers, understanding their behaviors and unique interactions, and learning how to engage at the right precise moment with the right customer experience. Behind each of these interactions are unique moments that create an opportunity to learn and understand more about who they are and what they want. AWS Customer Engagement services (Amazon Connect, Amazon Pinpoint, Amazon SES) power over 20 billion customer interactions per day across multiple channels and use cases. We seek to create the most customer centric experiences with highly reliable, scalable, and secure engagement services that build customer knowledge, trust, and drive growth.
This position represents a rare opportunity to lead a team to build a new AWS service as part of industry-leading engineering efforts at the highest levels of scalability, reliability and operational excellence, positively impacting millions of people around the world.
What you will do here
As a Senior Manager of Software Development you will be responsible for building a team of talented engineers and managers and establishing a culture that successfully delivers on design, development, testing, and the operations of systems your team owns. You should have an established track record of launching customer-facing experiences, deep technical ability, and excellent project management, communication skills, and ability to establish teams that collaborate across regions and functions. This role requires working closely with product management to define strategy and requirements, and leading development teams from design through delivery and subsequent operation. This position will also require regular communication with senior management on status, risks, and strategy.
Your team will build the next generation cloud technologies that leverage big data and machine learning to help companies around the world manage their customers data to improve customer engagement across applications, customer service, sales and marketing experiences. You will innovate and build technology that unlocks insights using customer data that companies need so they can better personalize and serve their customers. You will launch and deliver new features and capabilities based on direct feedback from AWS customers that are looking to this team to help them power the world's leading social media, gaming, finance, sports, educational, and consumer applications.
In this role you will:
Lead highly-effective software engineers to deliver highly available and reliable software for large, critical, and complex systems.
Independently lead hiring and performance management for your team.
Influence the team to have a test-first mentality to prevent issues from affecting customers. You understand the nuances and challenges with cross-platform development.
Operate at a high level and know when to dive deep. Perform peer code-reviews, write technical design documents, as well as lead and participate in technical design discussions.
Work in a team environment to collaborate and strive for consensus by making data-driven decisions.
Own the project from start to finish. Operate in an Agile/Kanban environment to continuously deliver high quality software, while consistently hitting immutable project delivery dates.
Have a high attention to detail, working closely with business, product, and technical stakeholders to drive measurable results.
What you will get from us:
We are a team that cares about your work-life balance, while challenging you and your team to solve problems at AWS scale. You will be part of a strong team in a fast-paced, start-up environment where agile development is embraced and innovation is encouraged. You will get support and resources from some of the smartest people in the industry to continue your personal and professional growth. You'll be joining a fun team that prides itself on a great work environment with an inclusive group of people that loves working together towards a common goal and make history in launching a new strategic service in the industry.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, with experience in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 5+ years of experience managing software development teams, and experience hiring, developing and managing managers (leader of leaders).
• A business and tech-savvy, analytical manager with a verifiable track record of managing and delivering complex projects on time and within budget.
• Ability to multi-task and manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment with flexibility balancing feasibility and viability.
• A strong "roll up your sleeves" mentality - you're comfortable delegating and understand when you need to dive deep to solve complex problems.
• Multiple years experience and application of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Communicate ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, to all types of audiences including Directors, VPs, software engineers, and quality assurance engineers.
• Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
• Expertise in data management, customer data management projects
• Expertise in customer engagement applications, including marketing, sales, and service technologies
• Expertise in many disparate technologies with a deep understanding of distributed systems and web services technology
• Track record of leading teams that have and delivered mission critical, 24x7 production software systems
• People first management style with proven ability to manage high performing teams.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.