Sr. Manager, Software Development - Amazon Quantum Ledger Database (QLDB)
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Quantum Ledger Database (QLDB) is a serverless, fully managed, ledger database. The first and only commercial database service in the world that provides a transparent, immutable, and cryptographically verifiable transaction log of all application data changes over time. It offers a SQL-like query language, a flexible document data model, and full support for transactions. QLDB eliminates the need for organizations to build ledger-like functionality when their applications require audit and verifiability functionality, such as, when tracking the history of credits and debits in banking applications, or when verifying data lineage of an insurance claim, or when tracing movement of an item in a supply chain network. QLDB is serverless and highly scalable, allowing customers to scale effortlessly to support the demands of their applications.
We are looking for a senior engineering manager who will build and lead teams owning core components of the service. You have a wealth of expertise in the implementation of databases, high-scale distributed systems, query and language runtimes, storage and journaling systems. You are a leader of leaders who knows how to recruit and scale a highly technical organization capable of tackling the unique challenges of a scalable database service. You will foster a culture of creative problem solving and operational excellence, owning mission critical systems under extreme loads. You will recruit and manage a team of world-class database experts, and you would ensure simple and elegant solutions are employed and unnecessary risks are avoided. You will care deeply about customer experience and focus on building dependable systems that customers trust with their data of record. You will have high standards for yourself and your team. You will drive engineering best practices and be constantly looking for ways to make the systems you own better. You have great communication skills and enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment.
More about QLDB:
1) An Intro to Amazon QLDB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G9epn3BfqE
2) What is Amazon QLDB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEbMJ86dGQ
3) AWS Launchpad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APq9PaaZJPA
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-life balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
• 10 years of experience developing large scale back-end software, services and tools
• 8 years of experience working with database technologies
• 8 years of experience managing software engineering teams
• 3 years of experience managing managers (leader of leaders)
• Experience with more than one of C/C++, C#, java or other object oriented programming languages
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
• Proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams
• Experience building and operating distributed systems or big data applications at large scale
• Experience delivering performance optimization features
• Experience with database systems internals and query execution
• Experience working with open source software such as Presto, Spark, or Hive
• Superior analytical and problem solving skills are required
• Focus on mentoring, code reviews, architectural consultancy and teamwork
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong business and technical vision
• Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering
• Strong problem solving ability and analytical skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work on a team with diverse experience and backgrounds
Back to top