Sr Manager, Software Development - Alexa International
- Seattle, WA
Come be a pioneer! Want to be part of the team whose mission is to expand Alexa to new countries, languages, devices and cultures? The Alexa International team makes it happen. Our customers are very diverse in where they live, the languages they speak, the devices they use and the content that matters most. In turn our problems are diverse and need innovative solutions. Alexa International is at the nexus of all other Alexa teams and features, such as Smart Home, Music, News, ASR (Automatic Speech Recognition), NLU (Natural Language Understanding), Fire TV, Skills etc. It collaborates with hardware and software developers within and outside Amazon to build delightful experiences for our customers. We're working hard, having fun, and making history; come join us!
As a Senior Software Development Manager, you will lead a team to design, develop, test, and deploy scalable services, while at the same time redefining customer's expectations for what an intelligent assistant can do. You will hire and develop a truly innovative team of engineers and managers with a deep understanding of software development methodologies. You will work on highly visible projects and collaborate closely with product owners, engineering leaders, and leadership across the company.
You will have significant influence on our overall product strategy by helping define the features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product.
As a Sr. SDM, you will:
• Own development and operations of the services and tools end-to-end
• Provide technical direction to engineers, even beyond your own team
• Establish and execute short and long-term roadmaps for the business
• Launch experimental experiences directly to customers
• Manage multiple development teams
• Drive continuous improvement to the efficiency and flexibility of the business platform while keeping a high bar for customer trust, performance, and availability.
• Bachelors in Computer Science or related field
• 10+ years of relevant engineering experience
• 5+ years of people management experience with 2+ years of experience managing managers
• Experience working cross-organizationally and influencing product and program management teams
• Written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information and negotiate trade-offs with a variety of audiences
• 10+ years of experience in the Software Development Industry
• Experience in leadership roles building complex software systems and successfully delivering to customers
• Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
• Track record of launching projects with Java/C#, C++, Perl, and distributed computing technologies
• Background in distributed systems and/or machine learning
• Experience with speech and language understanding systems
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
• Experience communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
• Experience mentoring junior software engineers to improve their skills and make them more effective product software engineers
• Experience influencing software engineer' best practices within your team
• Experience working backwards from the customer and delivering innovative, simple solutions
• Master's Degree/PhD in Computer Science or related field
Back to top