Sr. Manager Innovation & Design Engineering
- Seattle, WA
Amazon is searching for an engineering leader to manage a high performing team of system engineers charged with designing large scale package sortation systems. This position is at the forefront of building Amazon's transportation infrastructure and will be responsible for the designs of hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of Material Handling Equipment (MHE) and robotics.
Amazon offers an environment that is both fast paced and open to taking risks. This position will be leading system/equipment innovation at a scale that only Amazon will offer. The successful candidate will routinely lead projects that would be career making assignments in other companies and present work to the most senior leadership within the company.
As a Senior Manager of Innovation and Design Engineer for Transportation, you will be able to work with and lead some of the most talented engineers in the design and development of physical distribution systems around the globe. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing high-performance physical systems, a strong technical problem solving ability, excellent project management skills, and be self-motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced and often ambiguous environment. Amazon's culture encourages innovation and expects engineers and managers alike to take a high level of ownership in solving complex problems.
• Lead and manage a team of talented engineers handling multiple MHE design projects at a time
• Own the design of parcel logistics systems, to develop optimal solutions for the transportation network through site layout, equipment specification, material flow, process design, and intellectual property considerations
• Innovate with complex automated material handling equipment and systems including robotics and mechatronics
• Provide technical leadership for large-scale industrial engineering projects
• Lead and coordinate design efforts between internal teams and outside vendors to develop optimal solutions for the network
• Manage capital projects; create conceptual drawings, equipment specifications and bid documentation to facilitate a competitive bid environment.
• Monitor and enforce project schedules and quality with vendors or subcontractors.
• Develop and manage budget and contract documents including RFPs, change order controls, purchase orders, and invoicing
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering (any discipline) or foreign equivalent, OR a related field OR 2+ years Amazon experience
• 10+ years of experience in the job offered or related occupation of Industrial Engineer, Process Engineer, Manufacturing Engineer, or relate
• 5+ years experience managing a successful team of engineer
• Experience must involve technical leadership for large-scale engineering project
• Experience with complex MHE and packaging lines or process design
• Ability to travel up to 25% of time throughout the United States
• Master's degree in Engineering (any discipline) or foreign equivalent, Operations, Business Administration, or a related field and at least five years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty
• Experience with complex automated material handling equipment, packaging technologies, and systems including robotics and high-speed manufacturing.
• Experience with process design
• Capital project management skills
• Proficiency using business/technical software like MS Excel, MS Project, and CAD software.
• Proficiency with concepts like system architecture, optimization, system dynamics, system analysis, statistical analysis, reliability analysis, and decision making.
• Design-in-Safety experience
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top