Title: Sr. Manager, Product Design, echo frames
Location: Cupertino, CA
Echo Frames is Amazon's first prescription-ready smart glasses. The vision of the product is to allow our customers to bring the magic of Alexa on-the-go, to get more done and be more present. The team is focused on bringing technology and design into a form that is familiar to millions of glasses wearers, in a way that has never been done by any other company before. If you are excited about pushing the envelope and developing brand new experiences for consumers, we would love to meet you.
As a Product Design Manager on our team, you will be responsible for the mechanical design, development and quality of consumer electronic devices, hiring and development of the engineering team and continuous improvement and implementation of best practices. You will take responsibility for leading project teams, technical problem solving, creatively meeting product objectives, at times delegating tasks to achieve your objectives and mentoring junior engineers. You will demonstrate cross-functional team leadership, working closely with the Industrial Design, Reliability, Product Management, Operations and other teams to accomplish your goals. You will play a role in defining overall development processes and methods to improve the productivity of the cross-functional team. You will identify and initiate investigations of production technologies, prototype and test solutions for product features, and design and validate production designs that deliver an exceptional user experience.
You will demonstrate a strong working knowledge of mechanical systems, with expertise in systems integration; the desire to learn from new challenges and possess the problem solving and communication skills to work within a highly interactive and experienced team. Candidates must show a hands-on passion for their work and be able to communicate their ideas and concepts both verbally and visually. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to integrate feedback and to respond quickly to changing contexts and work environments. In this role, you will:
• Lead the hiring process to build teams
• Mentor junior and senior engineers in good product design practice
• Provide ongoing performance feedback and career management of team
• Perform feature design and testing to meet program objectives
• Perform test failure analysis and solution validation to complete successful product development
• Lead field failure analysis and solution evaluation for production product issues
• Support positive team interactions to accomplish program objectives
• Provide cross-functional program integration support to insure team success
• Manage schedules and milestones
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Prepare and deliver updates to the Executive team when necessary
Inclusive Team Culture
At Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren't focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we're happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced lifeboth in and outside of work.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, design reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
• Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
• 7+ years of experience, product development
• 3+ years of experience managing engineering teams
• Master's degree
• Mandarin language skills
• Strong 3D CAD skills, Creo
• Proven track record leading engineering teams through the whole development cycle
• Demonstrated knowledge of tooling and materials process validation (SPC, Cp, CpK)
• Demonstrated design experience with high volume/high finish consumer electronics enclosure materials
• Demonstrated design experience integrating component modules (I/O, Displays, Batteries, PCBs, etc.)
• Analytic problem solving skills, including knowledge of 8D, Six Sigma, DOE or similar disciplines
• Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills
• Product validation experience (Shock/Drop, Cycle Testing, Environmental Testing)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us .