Are you excited about customer-facing research and reinventing the way people think about long-held assumptions? At Amazon, we are constantly inventing and re-inventing to be the most customer-centric company in the world. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. Amazon is one of the most recognizable brand names in the world and we distribute millions of products each year to our loyal customers.
The F3 (Fresh, Food, Fast) organization leads the innovation of Amazon's ultra-fast grocery product initiatives. Our key vision is to transform the online grocery experience and provide a wide grocery selection in order to be the primary destination to fulfill customer's food shopping needs. The F3 Supply Chain team builds and operates world class grocery supply chain systems and infrastructure to deliver growth for the business globally. We're growing in scale and volume, by orders of magnitude. We are a team of passionate tech builders who work endlessly to make life better for our customers through amazing, thoughtful, and creative new grocery shopping experiences. To succeed, we need senior technical leaders to forge a path into the future by building innovative, maintainable, and scalable systems.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for quantitative data analysis, building models and prototypes for supply chain systems, and developing state-of-the-art optimization algorithms to scale. This team plays a significant role in various stages of the innovation pipeline from identifying business needs, developing new algorithms, prototyping/simulation, to implementation by working closely with colleagues in engineering, product management, operations, retail and finance.
As a leader of the Science team, you will play an integral part on our Supply Chain team with the following technical and leadership responsibilities:
• Lead scientists and engineers on the team and oversee research and development projects at various stages ranging from initial exploration to deployment into production systems.
• Rapidly design, prototype and test many possible hypotheses in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative and business judgment.
• Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate successful experiments into large scale, highly complex production services.
• Mentor and lead team members for their career development and growth
• Interact with engineering, operations, science and business teams to develop an understanding and domain knowledge of processes, system structures, and business requirements
• Apply domain knowledge and business judgment to identify opportunities and quantify the impact aligning research direction to business requirements and make the right judgment on research project prioritization
• Develop scalable mathematical models to derive optimal or near-optimal solutions to existing and new supply chain challenges
• Create prototypes and simulations to test devised solutions
• Advocate technical solutions to business stakeholders, engineering teams, as well as executive-level decision makers
• Work closely with engineers to integrate prototypes into production system
• Create policy evaluation methods to track the actual performance of devised solutions in production systems, identify areas with potential for improvement and work with internal teams to improve the solution with new features
• Present business cases and document models, analyses, and their results in order to influence important decisions
• Ph.D. in Operations Research, Operations Management, Engineering, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, or a related quantitative field
• 7+ years of relevant industrial research experience in supply chain management, inventory management, operations management, simulation or a closely related field
• 7+ years of management experience
• Fluency in data analysis languages (e.g., R, Python, SAS, etc.) or other statistical software
• Hands-on experience in building end-to-end mathematical models and prototyping
• Experience building, iterating, and validating predictive data models from scratch
• Deep expertise in stochastic and deterministic optimization techniques and simulation
• People management experience
• Expert in one or proficient in more than one major programming language (Mosel, AMPL, Python, C/C++/Java, SSJ, Matlab, Arena, etc.)
• A working knowledge of linear and non-linear optimization methods accompanied by expertise in the use of OR tools (e.g. CPLEX, Gurobi, XPRESS).
• Strong communication, influencing, and partnership skills
• • Experience with large data sets, big data and analytics
• Ability to distill problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal business requirements; and to deal with ambiguity and competing objectives
• In depth familiarity with the literature and practice of operations management, supply chain management, inventory management, revenue management, forecasting, and/or logistics
• Expertise in one of the following areas: Optimization, Applied Probability, Game Theory, and/or Simulation
• Experience with data engineering and/or methods used in Big Data analytics
• Expertise in prototyping with applications of efficient large-scale data analysis in a complicated system
• Experience and/or academic research in area of online retail and competition with brick and mortar stores; mechanism design and coordination/contracting within supply chains; or Pricing and Revenue Management
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
#AUS-F3-SDE #AUS-PSF-SDE #F3-SDE #PSF-SDE