Sr. Kernel/Hypervisor Engineer
- Seattle, WA
The Development Center in Cambridge
In 2018 EC2 expanded its operations to Cambridge by introducing a new Kernel and Operating System (KaOS) team in this location, in addition to our offices in Dresden, Germany and Bucharest, Romania.
The KaOS team develops and maintains the hypervisors and Linux kernels present in all EC2 servers, as well as various other low-level components, with particular focus on security, availability and performance; with continued research investment in self-healing, live updates, scheduling, networking, block devices, and much, much more.
Some of our recent innovations include the Nitro Hypervisor, core of the Nitro System, and the Firecracker MicroVM. More information about the Nitro system is available at:
• AWS Nitro System blog post by James Hamilton: https://perspectives.mvdirona.com/2019/02/aws-nitro-system/
• AWS re:Invent 2018: Powering Next-Gen EC2 Instances: Deep Dive into the Nitro System (CMP303-R1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DVmwj3OEs
More information about the Firecracker MicroVM:
• AWS Blog post by Jeff Barr: https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/firecracker-lightweight-virtualization-for-serverless-computing/
• Firecracker GitHub landing page: https://firecracker-microvm.github.io/
The Cambridge KaOS/EC2 team has a wide charter, with focus on Hypervisor (Xen and KVM), and Linux Kernel (Networking, Block devices, IOMMU, scheduling, security, etc) development. While we are just starting, one thing is clear to us: our approach to software development is one of upstream first, Open Source first.
Amazon is looking for an experienced Sr. Linux Kernel Developer for a Kernel and Operating System team. As part of the team, you will be given the chance to have a significant impact on our systems, our business and most importantly our customers.
If you are passionate about Hypervisors, have deep technical knowledge and want to build solutions to complex problems that directly affect millions of people: there may be no better place than Amazon for you to impact the world!
• You will have ownership of the lowest layer of the Amazon Web Services software stack, contributing to the Linux Kernel and Hypervisor development for AWS.
• You will be improving the Linux Kernel to be used as a Dom0 operating system as well as a guest operating system.
• Your work will focus on new features and performance and reliability improvements for server workloads. You will be working on key areas of the Linux Kernel such as: Hypervisor, Block I/O, Networking, PV Driver, IOMMU
We at AWS value individual expression, respect different opinions, and work together to create a culture where each of us is able to contribute fully. Our unique backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our ability to achieve Amazon's mission of being Earth's most customer-centric company.
• BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent work experience
• Several years of production experience working on the Linux Kernel
• Expertise in C programming
• Proficient in at least one CPU architecture such as x86 or ARM
• Direct experience with Linux kernel and virtualization development
• Demonstrated experience with hiring and/or mentorship of junior engineers
• Basic understanding of performance critical areas of the Linux Kernel
Back to top