Sr. Hardware Systems Engineer
- Arlington, VA
We are looking for Sr. Hardware Systems Engineer capable of operating in a fast-paced, ever-changing, multi-platform international manufacturing and production environment. Our Hardware Systems Engineers develop strategies across numerous platforms and architectures. They automate tests for machine vision hardware using scripting while ensuring the required specifications are met, including analyzing and recording data. They are expected to handle personal project management, execution, and ongoing hardware test support of all products in production as well as new product introductions. We are looking for leaders in hardware design, test, and process development.
The Team: Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no lines and no checkout. You simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take what you want from our selection of fresh, delicious meals and grocery essentials, and go.
Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by our Just Walk Out Technology. It automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you're done shopping, you just leave the store. Shortly after, we'll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt. Check it out at amazon.com/go. Designed and custom-built by Amazonians, our technology uses computer vision, sensor fusion, and advanced machine learning. Innovation is part of our DNA. We need people who want to join a high-reaching program that continues to collaborate and push the state of the art in computer vision, machine learning, distributed systems, and hardware design.
We are looking for excellent engineers that epitomize technical and operational excellence - that can drive innovation and apply state-of-the-art technologies to solve real-world challenges. Full cycle product development experience from inception through maturity is essential. Working simultaneously on projects in different phases is common; you can demonstrate robust design and validation skills in addition to the understanding of mechanics of ongoing operational excellence and product support. You are responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open and collaborative peer environment.
As a Sr. Hardware Systems Engineer, you will be responsible for defining and implementing a manufacturing test strategy for new hardware devices. You will be the lead engineer and main interface with our internal Firmware, Technical Program Management, Reliability, Quality, Operations, Production Software, Hardware Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, Optical) teams as well as our Contract Manufacturers (CM). In this role, you will:
• Define test strategy, implement and optimize test setup/processes at the CM including design and qualification of test fixtures, test equipment, and test software
• Lead innovative software/firmware architectures for multiple manufacturing test lines
• Drive cross-functional schedules, test requirements, specifications and limits with the hardware development team
• Work concurrently with the design engineers to provide design for testability (DFT) feedback throughout the design process
• Investigate and troubleshoot yield issues during prototype and production builds
• Write status and/or build reports for cross-functional review
• Deploy and provide training for engineering teams internally and externally
• Develop procedures, preventative maintenance plans, and troubleshooting guides to support production
• Investigate and introduce new manufacturing test technology and methodology to enhance production efficiency
• Provide leadership and guidance to junior engineers on the team.
• Bachelor's in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field
• 5+ years of experience in designing test systems for electronic devices
• 5+ years of experience in systems integration for electronic devices
• 5+ years of experience in hardware development across full product life cycles - concept to production
• Proven experience with defining, developing and implementing a manufacturing test strategy for new products
• Experience with reviewing hardware designs to determine test coverage to ensure products are free of manufacturing defects
• Deep understanding of DFT and DFM methods
• Interested and able to travel internationally
• MS or PhD in Electrical, Mechanical, Manufacturing or Computer Engineering with 3+ years' industry experience
• Experience writing code and automating in C/C++, Java or Python
• Agile software development skills
• Experience with production quality metrics such as Lean manufacturing
• Proven track record of releasing manufacturing test for at least two products from concept through production
• Experience working with contract manufacturers
• Strong metrics and operational excellence focus
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top