Sr. Hardware Development Engineer - Storage
- Seattle, WA
Amazon Web Services (AWS) Hardware Engineering team creates compute and storage server designs for Amazon's innovative web services. Our designs are industry-leading in performance, frugality and operational excellence, and are critical to the success of the AWS business and the more than one million customers who use AWS today. Our Engineers solve challenging technology problems, and build architecturally sound, high-quality server platforms and components to enable AWS to realize critical business strategies.
We are looking for an experienced Hardware Development Engineer to lead the operation and integration of next generation storage HDD/SSD for AWS world scale compute and storage solutions. The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative, hands-on lead engineer seasoned in qualification, debug/failure analysis, and operation of hard disk and/or solid state drives.
You will collaborate with internal development teams and external OEM HDD/SSD drive suppliers to deliver truly innovative storage products with industry leading performance and quality. You will establish strategic vision and drive execution in defining and delivering new products and services. AWS Engineers are shaping the way people use computers and designing the future of cloud computing technology come help us make history!
What you will do: You will be a lead engineer on a team designing and building infrastructure to operate our storage platforms at massive scale. You will lead the integration and delivery of HDD/SSD from OEM suppliers, and support the development of automated monitoring and failure analysis services to operate, debug, and scale these devices. You will work closely with other AWS software teams to tailor and operate storage solutions for the AWS environment.
Why it matters: Public cloud IT services represent the majority of growth in the overall IT services market and will continue to do so for several years to come. The breathtaking scale of AWS, combined with a deep understanding of how our hardware is used, creates a unique opportunity for component customizations that will directly benefit our customers.
Why you will love it: You will with a team of engineers working with teams across the company to build next-generation cutting edge infrastructure. You will have a direct impact on our bottom line and the ability to deliver features and functionality to our customers. You will be part of a growing, fast paced, and fun team and have ownership for the implementation of your work.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer or Electrical Engineering or related field, or equivalent experience.
• 5+ years of experience in hardware and/or software design and development on HDD and/or SSD.
• Master's degree or higher in Computer or Electrical Engineering, or related field.
• 10+ years of experience in storage component and/or platform design and architecture for large scale applications.
• Demonstrated experience in the qualification, debug, failure analysis, and product delivery of HDD/SSD based storage systems either as a lead engineer or field application engineer.
• 10+ years of hands-on hardware design, debug, operational and customer support experience with HDD/SSD based storage systems.
• Able to work in a diverse team
• Deep expertise with one or more of the following protocol stacks including block storage (NVMe, SAS/SATA/HBA), networking (Ethernet, TCP/IP) and interfaces (PCIe, I2C, ONFI, DDR).
• Experience with deploying and operating hardware and Cloud applications across large data centers within infrastructure constraints.
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's leadership principles requirements for this role
• Meets/exceeds Amazon's functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Back to top