Sr. Global Commodity Manager
- Sunnyvale, CA
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a member of the Commodity Management Team, you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive, design and develop innovative consumer products. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment.
The Sr. Global Commodity Manager is a critical part of the Kindle development process and is responsible for formulating, communicating, and executing a sourcing strategy relative to their respective commodity. The commodity manager leads supplier sourcing / selection activities and successfully manages the supplier relationship to ensure that the supply chain is capable of delivering high quality, cost effective materials to support production requirements. The commodity manager ensures that their respective commodity meets the technical specifications and cost requirements necessary for Lab126 to develop great products for its customers.
• Collaborate within the Global Commodity Management Mechanical team and across Supplier Quality and Engineering to develop a commodity strategy and technology roadmap that aligns technology and business requirements with supplier capabilities.
• Work closely with Engineering to define standard and custom product requirements.
• Work closely with Engineering to influence technical design decisions to meet technical capabilities, and business objectives.
• Manage the Approved Vendors List (AVL) for commodity, supplier selection and qualification.
• Ensure a competitive sourcing environment leading to continuous improvement in quality, cost, service and technology.
• Interface with cross-functional teams to assess current and future sourcing requirements.
• Deliver periodic executive business review of commodity sourcing strategy, considering the industry landscape, supplier capabilities, scale and performance, product and technical roadmaps and strategic business objectives.
• Manage overall supplier relationships including supplier performance, capability development, cost and quality improvements.
• Maintain personal knowledge of market trends including rigorous analysis of market drivers, cost structures and technical improvements.
• Travel periodically to supplier's manufacturing sites.
• Support Lab126 OEM supplier initiatives including technology, quality, cost, supply, environment, ethics, etc.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Supply Chain Management or related field.
• 7+ years of experience in high volume manufacturing operations or sourcing environment.Experience in supplier / supply chain management.
• Material Science and Adhesives experience
• Global supply chain experience managing cross functional teams in a fast pace consumer electronics product company.
• Familiarity with world-class sourcing methods and tools.
• Experience in mechanical technologies (e.g. injection molding, die casting, stamping, forging, metal injection molding, liquid silicone rubber molding, compression molding, decoration and assembly, etc.).
• Experience with Continuous Improvement and Six Sigma methodologies.
• Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Excel.
• Negotiation experience with global suppliers with a proven track record of success.
• Master's degree.
• Strong leadership skills and ability to assume leadership role with cross-functional peers.
• Ability to solve problems and coordinate with cross-functional teams.
• Ability to be innovative in issues related to strategic sourcing, vendor relations, quality assurance and the associated measurement systems.
• Knowledge of Agile.
• Strong analytical skills (i.e. cost modeling, quotation analysis, supplier selection).
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Fluent in English.
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Gender Identity/Sexual Orientation.
Back to top