Sr. Embedded Software Development Engineer, Satellite Flight Software
- Bellevue, WA
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Are you excited about developing the guidance, navigation, and control software for an advanced fleet of communications satellites? Our team is creating the algorithms and software that will perform high-performance flight control on each spacecraft; in other words, the autopilot that flies the constellation.
As a guidance, navigation, and control (GNC) software engineer, you will design, implement, test, and support the real-time software that flies the spacecraft from the moment of launch to re-entry, joining a team of control systems experts and engineers to deliver the control/estimation algorithms. In collaboration with partner teams, you will execute cross-disciplinary product development with a high bar for rigor and technical excellence. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities.
The right candidate will possess a strong, well-rounded technical background in software, with some hardware familiarity. Prior experience with spacecraft or autonomous vehicles is helpful, but not a prerequisite.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
• 5+ years of software development experience, with background in design patterns, data structures, and test-driven development.
• 5+ years of experience in at least one relevant technical area: embedded systems and avionics, control systems, or real-time software.
• Proficiency with professional software engineering practices & standard practices for the full software life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Master's or advanced degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline.
• Familiarity with interdisciplinary developments that involve hardware, software, and algorithm co-design and verification.
• Expertise in real-time operating systems, embedded Linux with real-time extensions, systems programming, concurrency, and scheduling.
• Expertise building, testing, and verifying real-time or safety-critical systems.
• Experience with sensors, actuators, embedded vehicle electronics/avionics, and/or control systems.
• Experience with simulation in various contexts: hardware-in-the-loop, monte-carlo, emulators.
• Experience with operating remotely deployed systems in extreme environments.
• Experience supporting infrastructure and tool development for scientific/engineering users.
• Experience in building or leading strong engineering teams, including hiring and growing software engineers.
• Independent and entrepreneurial, showing the ability to work with minimal direction.
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top