Sr. Electromagnetic Environmental Effects Engineer
- Seattle, WA
Project Kuiper is an initiative to launch a constellation of Low Earth Orbit satellites that will provide low-latency, high-speed broadband connectivity to unserved and underserved communities around the world.
Have you wanted an opportunity to make an impact on a space program with substantial scope and consequence? Are you looking to use your skills and knowledge of the spaceflight environment to design next-generation high performance avionics for use on orbit? We have the job for you. Amazon is developing Kuiper, a satellite internet constellation designed to provide broadband access to unserved and underserved communities around the world. Join us and make a difference for customers around the world.
Amazon seeks a Senior Electromagnetic Environmental Effects Engineer who will focus on development and test of avionics and payload/antenna subsystems for our low-earth-orbit satellite. This role will include (but is not limited to) the following:
• Work with hardware design teams as a subject matter expert in electromagnetic environmental effects throughout the end-to-end development process including requirements definition, system-design/architecture, testing/qualification and production to deliver satellite hardware that meets all mission requirements.
• Perform analysis to define the spacecraft electromagnetic environment including radiated and conducted emissions, susceptibility (RE/CE/RS/CS), lightning (at launch site), surface and bulk charging to inform design and test of spacecraft electronics.
• Set hardware design requirements for avionics development teams including shielding (enclosures and cable harness), grounding, bonding and isolation.
• Work with electronic component design teams to communicate requirements related to electromagnetic environments, inform and drive design changes which reduce EMI concerns and debug/root-cause EMI issues on subsystems and the overall spacecraft.
• Define and coordinate EMI/EMC testing for all satellite electronic subsystems and vehicle/spacecraft level.
Export Control Requirement:
Due to applicable export control laws and regulations, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e., current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent degree, or equivalent experience
• 7+ years of experience in a hardware development role focusing on electromagnetic environments or EMI/EMC.
• Experience with defining and conducting EMI/EMC testing for electronic components and systems.
• MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Physics or related degree
• 7+ years of experience in spaceflight avionics development as an electromagnetic environments effects engineer.
• Experience with using analysis to define requirements for emissions and susceptibility of avionics components.
• Knowledge of EMC industry standards and specifications for aerospace (MIL-STD-461, MIL-STD-1541A, DO-160 etc)
• Experience modelling electromagnetic environments using computational SW (CST, HFSS, etc).
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Back to top